1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Random crash/freeze on Windows XP SP2 Media Centre Edition

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Cicine, Nov 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Cicine

Cicine Thread Starter

Hi,
    I have a laptop with Windows XP SP2 Media Centre Edition Version 2002 installed on it. It works fine except that it "crashes" randomly. What I mean by that is that Windows basically freezes ie the screen does not go blank or anything but the screen freezes and I have no control over the pointer or anything. When this happens, I can't bring the Windows menu bar up, I can't bring the task manager up using Ctrl+Alt+Del, nothing. The only thing to do is a hard shut down and reboot.
    It doesn't happen when I am doing something specific, I could be browsing the Net or typing a letter. The laptop is clean in terms of viruses etc...
    Nothing is recorded in the Event Viewer when the crashes happen, nor in the Dr Watson log.
    I figured it must be a process which is causing the issue, so I have installed Windows Defender. It shows nothing suspicious there, everything is healthy and I couldn't solve the mystery using Software Explorer as everything is ok there although I did notice something a bit odd.
    I turned off System Restore and also the Microsoft Automatic Updates but whenever one of these crashes happen, the Microsoft Automatic Updates process is always running after I reboot the laptop (although they have run before without crashing the laptop). I find that strange since I completely turned off the updates.
    Could the Microsoft Automatic Updates be causing the issue? If so, how the hell do I make sure they don't run automatically and if not, what could be causing this problem?
    The laptop is otherwise healthy and runs really well. It could be running for days and days without crashing but sometimes crashes several times a day (although rare), really random.

Any ideas would be appreciated.
    Thanks

2. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

I think you might be having a overheating issue. Try running this and keep it showing on the desktop so when the system crashes you can see it.

Here is a download to run SpeedFan as a service on bootup here:
    http://www.skipyrich.com/sfsvc.ptml

SpeedFan is a freeware program that monitors voltages, fan speeds and temperatures
    http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

When the computer locks up write down the temps and post the results.

3. Cicine

Cicine Thread Starter

Ozrom1e,

Thanks for the link! I installed SpeedFan a couple of days ago and had my first crash since install today. The HD temperature was 36C and the CPU was 53C... nothing amazing there, the CPU has got a lot hotter than that before, without the laptop 'freezing'. What do you reckon? I don't think 53C is anything to worry about and certainly should not cause a laptop to 'freeze'. Your input would be greatly appreciated.

I maintain that the issue is caused by a process running in the background as, once again, after reboot, the Microsoft Automatic Update process was running!!!

Any suggestions?
    Cheers

4. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

It could be a process problem and 53 degrees C is not bad at all. Please to run a HijackThis and post the log it will tell us something about the processes running and also give our HJT experts a run for the money.

To download HJTsetup.exe To Download HijackThis go to the following: http://www.thespykiller.co.uk/forum/index.php?action=tpmod;dl=item5
    Filename = 1137518044HJTsetup.exe
    Save the file to your desktop.
    Double click on the HJTsetup.exe icon on your desktop.
    By default it will install to C:\Program Files\HijackThis.
    Continue to click Next in the setup dialog boxes until you get to the Select Additional Tasks dialog.
    Put a check by Create a desktop icon then click Next again.
    Continue to follow the rest of the prompts from there.
    At the final dialog box click Finish and it will launch Hijack This.
    Click on the Do a system scan and save a log file button. It will scan and then ask you to save the log.
    Click Save to save the log file and then the log will open in notepad.
    At the top of the Notepad HJT log screen, hit Edit then Select All then click Edit and then click Copy doing that copies the text to the clipboard, you won't see it yet....
    Come back here to this thread and Paste the log in your next reply. DO NOT have Hijack This fix anything yet. Most of what it finds will be harmless or even required.

A security expert should take a look at your log - please be patient.

5. Cicine

Cicine Thread Starter

Hi,

Thanks for that. Done and here it is:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
    Scan saved at 10:06:08, on 10/11/2006
    Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MsMpEng.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\Program Files\Marvell\Odyssey Client for Marvell\odClientService.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\eHome\ehRecvr.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\eHome\ehSched.exe
    c:\program files\mcafee.com\agent\mcdetect.exe
    c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcshield.exe
    c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mctskshd.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7Debug\mdm.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\ehome\ehtray.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\SOUNDMAN.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\AGRSMMSG.exe
    C:\Program Files\Marvell\Odyssey Client for Marvell\OdTray.exe
    C:\Program Files\McAfee.com\VSO\mcvsshld.exe
    C:\Program Files\McAfee.com\VSO\oasclnt.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mcagent.exe
    C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllhost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\eHome\ehmsas.exe
    c:\progra~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsescn.exe
    C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\MI3AA1~1\wcescomm.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\MI3AA1~1\rapimgr.exe
    c:\progra~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsftsn.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\msnmsgr.exe
    C:\Program Files\MSN\MSNCoreFiles\msn.exe
    C:\Program Files\Hijackthis\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.pcservicecall.co.uk
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.pcservicecall.co.uk
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Connection Wizard,ShellNext = http://www.pcservicecall.co.uk/
    O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: McAfee VirusScan - {BA52B914-B692-46c4-B683-905236F6F655} - c:\progra~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsshl.dll
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ehTray] C:\WINDOWS\ehome\ehtray.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UserFaultCheck] %systemroot%\system32\dumprep 0 -u
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Recguard] C:\WINDOWS\SMINST\RECGUARD.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SoundMan] SOUNDMAN.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SynTPEnh] C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AGRSMMSG] AGRSMMSG.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [OdTray.exe] "C:\Program Files\Marvell\Odyssey Client for Marvell\OdTray.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VSOCheckTask] "C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\VSO\mcmnhdlr.exe" /checktask
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VirusScan Online] C:\Program Files\McAfee.com\VSO\mcvsshld.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [OASClnt] C:\Program Files\McAfee.com\VSO\oasclnt.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MCAgentExe] c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mcagent.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MCUpdateExe] c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mcupdate.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Windows Defender] "C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe" -hide
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [H/PC Connection Agent] "C:\PROGRA~1\MI3AA1~1\wcescomm.exe"
    O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
    O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OSA.EXE
    O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
    O9 - Extra button: Create Mobile Favorite - {2EAF5BB1-070F-11D3-9307-00C04FAE2D4F} - C:\PROGRA~1\MI3AA1~1\INetRepl.dll
    O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {2EAF5BB2-070F-11D3-9307-00C04FAE2D4F} - C:\PROGRA~1\MI3AA1~1\INetRepl.dll
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Create Mobile Favorite... - {2EAF5BB2-070F-11D3-9307-00C04FAE2D4F} - C:\PROGRA~1\MI3AA1~1\INetRepl.dll
    O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O14 - IERESET.INF: START_PAGE_URL=http://www.pcservicecall.co.uk
    O15 - Trusted Zone: *.marvell.com
    O15 - Trusted IP range: 192.168.0.1
    O16 - DPF: {17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700} (Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool) - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=39204
    O16 - DPF: {4ED9DDF0-7479-4BBE-9335-5A1EDB1D8A21} (McAfee.com Operating System Class) - http://download.mcafee.com/molbin/shared/mcinsctl/4,0,0,101/mcinsctl.cab
    O16 - DPF: {8E0D4DE5-3180-4024-A327-4DFAD1796A8D} (MessengerStatsClient Class) - http://messenger.zone.msn.com/binary/MessengerStatsClient.cab31267.cab
    O16 - DPF: {BCC0FF27-31D9-4614-A68E-C18E1ADA4389} (DwnldGroupMgr Class) - http://download.mcafee.com/molbin/shared/mcgdmgr/1,0,0,26/mcgdmgr.cab
    O18 - Protocol: livecall - {828030A1-22C1-4009-854F-8E305202313F} - C:\PROGRA~1\MSNMES~1\MSGRAP~1.DLL
    O18 - Protocol: msnim - {828030A1-22C1-4009-854F-8E305202313F} - C:\PROGRA~1\MSNMES~1\MSGRAP~1.DLL
    O20 - Winlogon Notify: OdysseyClient - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\odyEvent.dll
    O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - ATI Technologies Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
    O23 - Service: McAfee WSC Integration (McDetect.exe) - McAfee, Inc - c:\program files\mcafee.com\agent\mcdetect.exe
    O23 - Service: McAfee.com McShield (McShield) - McAfee Inc. - c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcshield.exe
    O23 - Service: McAfee Task Scheduler (McTskshd.exe) - McAfee, Inc - c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mctskshd.exe
    O23 - Service: McAfee SecurityCenter Update Manager (mcupdmgr.exe) - McAfee, Inc - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\Agent\mcupdmgr.exe
    O23 - Service: Odyssey Client for Marvell (odClientService) - Funk Software, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Marvell\Odyssey Client for Marvell\odClientService.exe

Cheers

6. Cicine

Cicine Thread Starter

Hi,

Just something I forgot to say in my original post: I've already rebuilt the laptop because of this issue. I was so convinced it was caused by one of the applications I use that I reinstalled the OS and only the minimum on it to start with, ie Office and McAfee Security Centre. I hadn't even installed the Odyssey for Marvell client (Wi-Fi network client). The crash still occured, even with the laptop being nearly 'bare'. I remember it didn't happen for a while at first and I thought the rebuild had fixed the issue but then it started happening again after the main Windows Updates had gone through.

Waiting for your input for the HijackThis log. Thanks.

7. bonk

bonk Banned

To check MS updates go Start>>Run type services.msc click OK and check down the list for Automatic Updates and see if it is turned on.

How much memory do you have in that PC.....how large is the HDD and how much free space is left.?

Have you Defragged lately

8. Cicine

Cicine Thread Starter

The service was stopped but set to automatic, so I've disabled it.
    I have 1GB of RAM and the HDD is 60GB (34.8GB free space)
    I did defrag the HDD a few weeks ago, doesn't need defragging (I just checked again).
    I even did a CheckDisk at the same time, all ok.

Any other suggestions?

9. bonk

bonk Banned

Is that 1 GB of Ram 1 stick or 2?? If it is 2 then take one out and try it and see..if the same swap it for the other one..

If 1 stick you could try a memtest here

you can use a floppy or CD.

10. Cicine

Cicine Thread Starter

It's one stick unfortunately.
    Will try the memory test.

11. Cicine

Cicine Thread Starter

Correction: I do actually have 2 sticks of RAM, sorry about that.
    I took the first one out and the laptop crashed after a few days.
    I put the first stick back in and removed the second one: the laptop crashed after a couple of days.

So it's not a RAM issue then. I'm running out of options. What else could it be???

I've thought of something else: this laptop comes with an image to rebuild the OS from. Could it be a dodgy build? To test this, I have rebuilt the lapto using the image on the hard drive and not installed anything else on it at all (as I did before but this time, I'm going to leave a lot longer). Basically, the laptop is now as it was when I first got it. It has Windows XP SP2 on it and that is it. I'm going to see if it crashes.

It's a real pain because I can't use the laptop, can't do anything on it (a bit useless with just Windows on it), but perhaps that's the answer. What do you guys think? Is it possible that the image is a bit iffy?

Thanks

12. thadthig

thadthig

Are you still having the same problem?

I just bought the HP z560 and everything was great until the problems you are describing above started happening.

I see two problems. The complete freeze as described above and another problem with ehshell burns up 80+% utilization.

I have the latest updates on, but I have only seen it watching videos. I have only had this machine for 5 days!!!!1

T

13. Cicine

Cicine Thread Starter

Hi,

I had to send the laptop off for repair in the end as I was unable to fix the issue and nobody seemed to be able to come up with any other suggestions, so yes I still had the problem. It turned out not to be the build after all as the problem still occured after I rebuilt it using my own copy of XP.

I'll let you know what's what when the laptop comes back but I figured it must have a faulty component, it's just one of those things.

Are you sure your problem only occurs when watching videos? If so, perhaps your laptop is overheating (this was suggested as an underlying issue with my laptop but it turned out not to be the culprit). Perhaps you should follow the troubleshooting steps described in this thread and see whether you can pinpoint what's causing your problem.

14. thadthig

thadthig

Sorry. I have only noticed it when watching movies, since that's what I have been doing since Ive had it. It doesn't mean that it will not happen any other time.

Also, this machine is not a laptop. It is a set-top box HTPC.

What I am suggesting that is seems to be an OS/software issue since the commonality is the OS, but I guess overheating could be a possibility.

Thad

15. Cicine

Cicine Thread Starter

Ok I see.

At first, I thought mine was a software issue but I rebuilt my laptop more than once with different copies of XP as it were... It crashed even when it was "vanilla". I find it hard to believe it's an OS problem to be perfectly honest with you (in my case anyway).

Perhaps in your case it is software... Tried a rebuild?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!