1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Random Crashes, blue screen of death

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Zoomerj1, Apr 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Zoomerj1

Zoomerj1 Thread Starter

I am running Xp home addition, sp3. It is a custom computer i built. The problem is randomly it crashes. I can't figure out why. It's not a virus, but idk what to do to fix it. Anyone help? it is really starting to get annoying

2. fast586

fast586

The problem is that you're not very specific about when or how it crashes. Does this happen when you're doing something or did it happen after you installed something? How long has it been doing this? XP (any version) is normally pretty stable unless there's a piece of software or hardware not playing nice in the sandbox.

Have you checked your event log to see if there's anything that might point you to what's happening? The easiest way to access event viewer is to right click on my computer (from your desktop) then choose "manage" from the popout menu. Event viewer will be your first choice after selecting 'manage'. Check your application and system logs for more information to see if there's something specific to either hardware or software that's causing your problem.

fast586

3. Zoomerj1

Zoomerj1 Thread Starter

Well it is kind of hard to say sometimes its when i'm doing something and sometimes it is when i am not really do anything at, but maybe listening to music. It always says something about hardware and ip address complication. It has happened ever since i first installed my computer.

As for the manage thing i did as you said and i'm not exactly sure what i am looking for but there is a big X with error beside it and it says system error. I'm not exaclty familar with this part of the computer so i dont really knwo what else to tell you.

4. Zoomerj1

Zoomerj1 Thread Starter

After further inspecting event viewer there are a few errors in fact. one says Dhcp, idk if that helps but like i said i am not exactly sure what i am looking for.

5. sludge3000

sludge3000

If you are getting blue screen errors you need to make a note of the error code that appears on the blue screen. If your computer automaticaly restarts you can diable this function my going start>control panel>Performance and Maintenance(if it's there)>System>Advanced>click on settings in the startup and recovery section and then uncheck the automaticaly restart tickbox. Next time it blue screens make an note of the error code provided and any other information that pops up.

Normaly being unable to contact a DHCP server or aquire an IP address will not cause the machine to crash. How long ago did you build the PC? Has this problem been happening from the start or has it only been happening for a short period of time?

Can you also post your PC specs please.

6. fast586

fast586

There are various utilities out there to analyze dmp files to help track down what may be causing your crashes. I use ERD Commander which used to be from Winternals who is now owned by Microsoft.

If all these troubleshooting routines sound confusing, backup your files to an external USB drive and redo the machine (if you can). Format the hard drive and do everything over completely. Load XP from scratch but not your applications. Just load all your drivers and If it crashes, you may have a piece of hardware or one of your drivers causing the crash and you can work from there to indentify and correct the problem..

If it remains stable, start to load your applications back on, one at a time, then test it after the installation of each application. You may even have an application or program causing the issue.If I were in a situation where I wasn't sure what was causing the crashes and didn't have anything to use for analisis, that's what I would do.

fast586

7. Zoomerj1

Zoomerj1 Thread Starter

It has happened basically from the start, it doesn't happen every day. sometimes in fact it can go a week without doing it. I have already reloaded it twice and installed updated drivers for everything. It has happened since i first installed windows, and i built it back in July.

8. Zoomerj1

Zoomerj1 Thread Starter

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
    Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600
    OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
    System Name JACOB-DESKTOP
    System Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
    System Model EP45-DS3L
    System Type X86-based PC
    Processor x86 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 11 GenuineIntel ~2666 Mhz
    BIOS Version/Date Award Software International, Inc. F3, 5/28/2008
    SMBIOS Version 2.4
    Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
    System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
    Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
    Locale United States
    Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2111)"
    User Name JACOB-DESKTOP\Jacob
    Time Zone Eastern Daylight Time
    Total Physical Memory 2,048.00 MB
    Available Physical Memory 1.27 GB
    Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
    Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
    Page File Space 3.85 GB
    Page File C:\pagefile.sys

If there is anythign else you need as far as specs just tell me and ill give them to you, but thats i know to put

9. Zoomerj1

Zoomerj1 Thread Starter

And i cant find Erd commander

10. Todd33

Todd33

I had a similar problem with sp3 so I just went with sp2 and kept everything up to date.

11. casper0191

casper0191

Well you have to try to rescan it again with an updated Antivirus or antispyware programs. If that didn't help use the OS CD then system repair. Also try to defrag the system. Also I want to know the Specs of your computer. Because there might be some virtual memory shortage.

12. fast586

fast586

I'll tell you zoomer, I don't want to see you go out and spend a lot of money on testing utilities and not find the problem. There's so many things that it could be. So for now, I would do this:

1. Reseat your ram but make sure your power cord is unplugged before doing this. ATX power supplies still energize the motherboard with the machine turned off. Also make sure you're using a good ground strap and are grounded to a genuine earth ground. If you don't have a ground strap, take your socks and shoes off and make sure you're on a wood floor. Then reseat your ram. (bare feet on wooden floors greatly reduces the possibility of causing damaging static)
    2.Make sure your CPU is seated propertly and that the fan power cord is attached.Check to make sure the CPU fan has been functioning properly.
    3. Check your hard drive cables; in your case you probably have SATA drives, so check the thin flat colored cables. Otherwise, check your ribbon cables.
    4. Check all electrical wiring inside the case (all molex connectors and their wires; red,black and yellow)
    5. If your video card has a fan, check for proper operation. You might even try swapping-out the current video card with a different video card (if you have one) to see if the video driver could be the issue. (be sure to uninstall the current video driver first though) Video drivers are notorius for causing problems. Video driver problems sometimes don't manifest themselves right away either. Check for a motherboard BIOS update. There may be an known issue with your board that the manufacturer says can be corrected with a BIOS update.If not, reset your BIOS to default settings and reboot. It's possible that your motherboard came with the BIOS set incorrectly with a performance setting set too high which could have the effect of causing your machine to crash.
    7. Lastly, try swapping-out your power supply with another one. Weak power supplies can crash your machine because they may not be providing the proper voltage needed to maintain system stability. You may even have an underpowered power supply. These days it's best to get a power supply that provides at least 400 watts and probably more actually. In the case of power supplies, more is definitely better.

That's all I can think of for now. I hope this helps.

fast586

13. Zoomerj1

Zoomerj1 Thread Starter

Ok thanks ill tell you if it works

14. Zoomerj1

Zoomerj1 Thread Starter

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
    Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600
    OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
    System Name JACOB-DESKTOP
    System Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
    System Model EP45-DS3L
    System Type X86-based PC
    Processor x86 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 11 GenuineIntel ~2666 Mhz
    BIOS Version/Date Award Software International, Inc. F3, 5/28/2008
    SMBIOS Version 2.4
    Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
    System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
    Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
    Locale United States
    Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2111)"
    User Name JACOB-DESKTOP\Jacob
    Time Zone Eastern Daylight Time
    Total Physical Memory 2,048.00 MB
    Available Physical Memory 1.27 GB
    Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
    Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
    Page File Space 3.85 GB
    Page File C:\pagefile.sys

and here are the specs i got if you need anything else just ask

15. casper0191

casper0191

Alright so the specs and set up of the computer is good. There is no sign of virtual memory shortage. So it must be the System is corrupted because some DLL is not properly installed but still not sure. Have tried the those things that I asked you to do on the Hard disk.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!