1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Random Disconnections

Discussion in 'Networking' started by purplecracka, Apr 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. purplecracka

purplecracka Thread Starter

Hi! I've been all over the place trying to fix this issue. Over the past what seems to be about 6 months when I start running any real-time applications like Skype, uTorrent, Games, ect, those programs just randomly drop out of nowhere. It usually takes about 30 seconds for it to come back which isn't much, but in the middle of a game it could be the difference between win/loss. Currently I've contacted my ISP and all I got was the generic "reset your modem and that fixes all" answer.
    Currently this is what I've tried(and failed to work):

Disable uPnP on my router, skype, games.
    Disable the Firewall completely on my computer to see if its blocking anything
    Disabled the Firewall on my router
    Upgraded the Firmware on my router
    Changed the ethernet cable
    Completely disabled my Wireless adapter and ran only on my wired adapter
    Changed DNS to 8.8.8.8 and alt 8.8.8.4, flush dns, restarted computer

I've run a netalyzr to see if I can narrow down the issue,
    http://n1.netalyzr.icsi.berkeley.edu/summary/id=43ca253f-14533-d5f6451b-a9e9-403b-938d#DNSNX

I've been trying to fix this for months and still no avail. Please Help :(

2. hgh918

hgh918

Hello there..

A couple quick questions..
    Does the connection drop on any devices you try and access your network, or just on one in particular?
    Do you have a modem and router, or a wireless modem?
    Are you on a desktop or laptop?
    When the connection drops, does the device still say there's an internet connection?
    What OS are you on?

Thanks for the additional information :)

3. purplecracka

The connection only drops on my computer (which is why i was lead to the idea that it was my cable, but that wasn't it)
    I have a modem and a router that allows wired and wireless connections
    I'm on a desktop
    Yes, when the connection drops, I can still browse this internet.
    I'm on Win8.1
    Thanks for any help you can give :)

4. hgh918

hgh918

Sorry for the long wait, and thank you for all the information :)
    Do you have QoS enabled?
    Have you ever bypassed your router, and if so does the issue persist hardwired to the modem?

5. purplecracka

I just disabled QoS today and as for hardwiring to the modem, I haven't tried that yet. I'll have to do it at a more convenient time when nobody else is using the internet.

6. hgh918

hgh918

Understandable :)
    Try verifying your NIC settings are correct.
    Also, if you're currently using your ISP's dns, maybe try using a different dns, such as google or open.

7. purplecracka

Verifying my NIC as in checking the configurations for my TCP/IP?

8. hgh918

hgh918

Go to network sharing center, then change adapter settings on the left hand side, then right click on your device and select properties, then select configure, then the advanced tab, look for "speed and duplex"..what is this set to?

Also..I was re-reading what you've done so far...did you mean to say you disabled or enabled unpn?

9. purplecracka

Speed and Duplex is set to: Auto Negotiation
    As for uPnP I disabled it to see if it would fix anything. It didn't but nonetheless it was worth a shot.

10. hgh918

hgh918

For the speed and duplex (NIC) settings, auto is generally speaking sufficient. But when issues like your's arise, it's sometimes necessary to change that setting, so that your eqpt maintains the strongest connection possible. Here's a really great document I found about it
    http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-can-i-change-nic-speed.145127/

As far as upnp goes, you may wanna look into enabling it and port forwarding. Do you know what your NAT is currently set to?

11. hgh918

hgh918

So, I just realized you added the netalyzr report..I'm very sorry I missed that to begin with. With such high buffering particularly on the downlink, there's potential to resolve the issue on your own, but often has to be done w/ the provider. Now, I'd still encourage you to check the NAT settings. When it comes to gaming and other real time apps, changing your NAT to open can make a huge difference, alongside enabling upnp and forwarding to the correct ports. Another potential to consider is what's called bufferbloat, which is also primarily caused from the provider's end, but not definitively so...there are some things you can do to resolve it. However given the fact that it's only on your pc, it's unlikely bufferbloat is going on. Now, if your NIC settings didn't do the trick, nor did nat/upnp, qos, dns flush, etc..then I encourage you to try that hardwire, and that will tell you whether it is a setting on your router we need to figure out, or if it's on your pc. For tonight however, it's my bedtime! Though if you're still having the issue, feel free to reach out tomorrow and I'd be happy to continue working on this with you.
    I did however find a couple great reads for ya, firstly about the NAT..
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=165136021

And also an extremely useful, but pretty lengthy one about that bufferbloating..
    https://gettys.wordpress.com/2010/12/08/bufferbloat-mitigations/

Hope I've helped a little bit in someway haha..let me know if any of this works for you, or if you have any other questions..Best of luck to you! :)

12. purplecracka

So I've tested out a few things. Since I never had any possible time to connect my cable to the modem itself, I tried connecting on the wifi since my computer has a built in wireless functionality. Everything ran smooth until today when it started again. This is also something that happened when i swapped wires, it worked for a few days, then started again. Would that mean the issue is something on my computer or something inside the router?

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1146170

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice