1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Random disconnects from internet

Discussion in 'Networking' started by MildMeowth, Nov 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MildMeowth

MildMeowth Thread Starter

For a while now my Internet has been randomly disconnecting, it disconnects for only a seconds or less it seems, but is very noticeable when i am gaming as it takes a while for the game to reconnect to the servers. I am not sure if it is a problem with my router or computer hardware, as my brother has his computer setup in the same room as mine and we run off the same connection, and he never gets the disconnects that i get. All of my drivers are fully up to date.

System specs(windows 10)(Alll drivers up to date):

• Intel Core i5 I5-4590 Haswell 3.3GHZ Processor LGA1150 6MB

• GIGABYTE Z97MX-GAMING 5 mATX LGA1150 Z97 DDR3 PCI-E16 PCI-E8 XFIRE/SLI SATA3

• Kingston HyperX Fury Memory Black 8GB 4X4GB DDR3-1600 CL10

• Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 OC 4GB 7.0GHZ GDDR5 2XDVI HDMI DisplayPort PCI-E

• Corsair CS550M CS Modular 80 Plus GOLD-RATE 550W 12V Power Supply

• Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB SATA 6GB/S 7200RPM 64MB Cache 3.5IN Hard Drive OEM

• Kingston HyperX Fury 240GB SSD SATA3 SandForce SF2281 2.5in Solid State Disk Drive
    In the background i am always running:

• Razer synapse (for my mouse)

• Corsair utility engine (for keyboard)

• intel rapid storage

• McAfee antivirus

• one drive
    Ive taken many steps to try and solve the problem: Set it so that my computer cannot turn off the network adapter to save power, Switched from cat 5e to cat 6 ethernet cable, Ran antivirus/antispyware (nothing found), swapped ethernet ports (bought a network adapter that plugged into PCI-e), flushed DNS, turned router off/on.

If there are some diagnostic tests I need to run for things like dropped packets / more info into disconnects please let me know!

2. RT

RT

Howdy MildMeowth,
    This might seem counter intuitive, and perhaps a long shot... but I've found that both the Razer and Corsair utilities can cause "things." I know you need both keyboard and mouse functions, but try turning those utilities off while gaming....if it doesn't interfere with with the functional use of those devices for you...it shouldn't. You can always re-enable, but you can use either device without software installation.

Also, if you have the Nvidia Geforce Experience running disable that.
    I know for a fact it can hog your boot time, and might be trying to update as you play, even though your drivers are current.
    Just a thought, considering your brother has the same connection setup, but not sure if it's the EXACT same setup, or he's running the same stuff in the background...none of which may actually be needed during gaming. So one router for both computers, right?

Does this happen during normal web access, or just during gaming?

Last edited: Nov 3, 2016
  3. MildMeowth

MildMeowth Thread Starter

This happens during regular internet access although it is not as noticeable when I am just browsing the web. My brother has a different PC setup, we just run off the same connection in the same room, he runs identical programs though and has no issues. I'll try to turn those programs off to see if it helps.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1180509

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice