1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Random Disconnects from the internet

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Kirkyboy, Aug 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Kirkyboy

Kirkyboy Thread Starter

i have a D-Link DLS-264R Adsl Router and i keep getting diconnected randomly from the internet. Some times its ofter like every half hour other times is hours. I had windows Vista then upgraded to windows 7 and it did it on both operating systems. When i do loose my internet i dont think i loose it on the router as all the light are on as normal. Im connected through a ethernat cable and changed that to see if that was the problem and its not im wondering if its the router or my computer.

2. pedroguy

pedroguy

Hi:

Have you downloaded modem/router firmware updates ?
    Have you gone to the pc makers web site and downloaded any more current drivers for your network adapter ?
    And I am assuming a lan connection,not wireless ?

ISP ? If Dsl,how far away is the main phone office? More than 18,000 feet ?
    OK;This looks like a modem/router,correct ? model dsl 2640b.Correct ?
    Please verify .
    Has this always been a problem ?
    If not,any hardware/software changes ?

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Register at DSLReports and run their Line Quality Tests. It's best to run this test with a direct wired connection to eliminate any wireless issues from the results. It's useful many times to run this test several times, and we'd like to see each of the results. Post the results link from the top of the test display page for each test run here.

The link to post is near the top of the page and looks like:

If you wish to post this result to a forum, please copy/paste this URL
    http://www.dslreports.com/linequality/nil/2357195 <- sample only, yours will obviously be different!
    and your IP will be disguised.

Copy/paste that link here.

Note: You will have to enable PING (ICMP) request response either in your router (if you have one), or in your computer's firewall for direct modem connections. This is very important to get the most important part of the test to run.

DSLReports

Here's also the Line Quality Tests FAQ to help you understand the results. This will answer some questions about the line quality display.

4. Kirkyboy

Kirkyboy Thread Starter

im connected to a router/modem combined through lan i do loose my internet on the router aswell which i though i didnt before and its a D-link DSL-2640R

5. pedroguy

pedroguy

Have you updated the firmware?
    Also give us the dsl reports that John requested.
    HAve you updated the adapter driver?

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/940149

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice