Random display shut off

mlmorris

I have an old Dell Inspiron 6000, 1.5 GHz Pentium M, 2 GB RAM, ATI Mobility Radeon X300 display adapter, 100 GB HD, running Ubuntu 16.04.6 LTS with LXLE desktop.

Recently, the display has started to shut off randomly. Sometimes it only stays on for a few seconds.

The only way I can get it to turn back on is to either shut the computer down or use the keyboard to enable sleep mode, and then turn it back on.

When the display turns off, the computer is not shut down, as I discovered by connecting an external monitor. With the laptop display off, the external monitor is displaying everything correctly - demonstrating that only the laptop display is off.

I have a very fundamental question: Is this a hardware or software (possibly OS) problem?

I searched this forum and online but could not find anything that seemed relevant.

FWIW, I have also had recently difficulty with Firefox v. instability. Firefox will randomly crash, completely shutting down.

More then likely your LCD screen is going bad. No way to test it unless you take to a service center and then see if it's worth the cost of replacing or going new.

mlmorris

If it is a failing display, then, since the computer is at least 20 years old, it is definitely not worth investing any money in to it.

I may try to switch the OS (perhaps to Linux Mint) just to see what happens, since I am not happy with the Ubuntu/LXLE OS.

If the problem is a failing display, I can always use it to play music (not music videos, obviously).

If anyone else viewing this forum/thread has any suggestions, please post them.

plodr

Liz
Just try a live linux of another flavor and see how the display reacts; it is not necessary to install a different OS to test this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online