1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

random download crashes

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by mbcooker, Oct 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mbcooker

mbcooker Thread Starter

I have set up and configured a Slackware 9 system (install drivers, recompile kernel, bootstrap the latest gcc...). It is connected to the internet and a network of Windoze and Mac machines. My problem is that whenever I am downloading something large over samba, my system will always crash. It does not, however always crash at the same time. It also crashes on internet downloads, although this is dodgy because sometimes it crashes at the 18 megabyte mark, and sometimes I can get away with hundreds of megabytes. I am beginning to suspect my NIC, which is a SMC1211TX using the RTL8139 driver, regretably compiled into my kernel. Can somebody help me remove this problem that is spoiling my otherwise perfect setup? Thanks in advance for helping me.

2. Whiteskin

Whiteskin

YOu could Recompile your kernel with the proper driver, then if that doesnt work, i'd recommend just going out and getting a new one.

3. mbcooker

mbcooker Thread Starter

No, the NIC is an rtl8139 chipset sold as the 1211tx. I am just wondering if the NIC is the culprit. btw, I can browse the internet as much as I want.

4. codejockey

codejockey

Have you checked the logs in /var/log for any clues? My guess is that /var/log/syslog and/or /var/log/messages might have entries that would help you get things sorted out. Also, you might try looking in the samba logs in samba-home-directory/var/log.

Hope this helps.

5. Whiteskin

Whiteskin

So its just under samba that it crashes. I'm not an expert on samba, but if i had to make an uneducated guess, i would say....

I have no idea. I'm not gonna give bad advice, so hold on.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/169690

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice