1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Random events issue

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by xUSR, Feb 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. xUSR

xUSR Thread Starter

Hi, I have a fairly new Dell Inspiron laptop running Windows 8. I am having a very strange problem with random happenings occurring while I am typing. Sometimes for example while typing in Microsoft Word, my cursor will jump up 5 lines randomly. Sometimes when I am typing into notepad, notepad will minimize on its own. Sometimes i'll be writing in PuTTY and the configuration menu will randomly open. These are all examples and its very bizarre there is no pattern. I don't even know what to check for this. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If you are using the laptop keyboard and have not disabled the touchpad you are probably inadvertently touching the touchpad with thumb or wrist.

3. xUSR

xUSR Thread Starter

I don't think it's the touchpad. Besides, I can't disable the touch pad I need it. It's not a touchscreen laptop.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    That has never stopped me from using a USB mouse. :)

Sometimes it can be easily disabled/enabled. My two HP laptops have a little switch just above the touchpad. Lenovo uses Fn+F5 to toggle it.

Then probably some kind of keyboard problem, but I have no more specific idea. Contact Dell if you are sure it's not the touchpad.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1089104

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice