Random Freeze / No blue Screen - Please help

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

MegaPhilX

Hi guys!
I'm new to these forums. But I've subscribed because I really need help with a computer problem. I've tried everything but it still persists. Here we go.
I have a Dell gaming PC using Vista 32.
It freezes randomly. I mean the mouse and keyboard don't work (Not even the numlock key)
Usually, it seems to happen when I'm on the internet (watching videos mostly) but it still happens on other occasions.
There is no blue screen to have at least some sort of clue as to the cause of this.
My little work-around solution to this is to wait for a while after starting up Windows so that all the programs are completely loaded and not still processing. I've noticed some improvement by doing this but still, it ends up crashing at some point anyway... Besides I shouldn't have to wait everytime i turn my computer on.
I have to turn of off the comp by pressing the power button everytime it happens.

Now I've already called Dell and they made me scan the hardware for problems using their tool that you can use at start up.
There was no problem. Memory scan was okay and all...
Now, they're telling me that it's a software problem. but to have them solve it, it costs a lot of money. So I've lived with this problem for a few months because I can't afford to fix it with their service. it doesn't seem to mess up my data but it's annoying.

I'm using McAfee. I'm suspecting maybe this one is responsable... but I'd like to have a good way figuring out the cause of the freeze. Do you guys know if there are diagnosis tools I can use? Or maybe what could be causing the freeze? I've tried disabling stuff in IE and installing Firefox instead but it still does it. I've tried a lot of stuff.

So I hope I've been clear in my description. I'm pretty familiar with computers and stuff. Usually, I try everything I can and I do some research before asking anyone else ^_^

MegaPhilX

It's a XPS 630i
Intel Core2 Duo CPU
E6850 @ 3.00 GHz 3.01 GHz
4.00 GbB RAM

Looks like this is a known Dell issue.

Long thread here

http://en.community.dell.com/forums/p/19274999/19536233.aspx?PageIndex=10&c=us&l=en&cs=19&s=dhs

Video card problem here
http://en.community.dell.com/forums/t/19044039.aspx?c=us&l=en&cs=19&s=dhs

More here
http://www.my630i.com/brand-new-xps-630i-freeze-hangups-randomly-t2404.html
http://www.my630i.com/resource-collective-discussion-f26.html

There are some good suggestions in that Long Dell forum thread, you might read through the entire thread, you may have to sign up at the Dell forum before you can read the thread.

I have contacted the Dell employee that was answering questions in that long thread about this issue and what Dell has done about it if anything.

The Dell guy got back to me, his suggestions:

Possible Workarounds:
(1) In the Bios System Setup:
Change the Chipset voltage from 1.25v to 1.50v
Change the Memory voltage from 1.80v to 2.10v and set it to Unlinked

For Ati video cards, the Catalyst Control Center in Vista is causing issues. Remove the CCC (but NOT the driver) and restart the PC and check it.

MegaPhilX

Thanks for the help. I'm going to check things out and try your solutions.
I have a NVidia video card but I do have an ATI TV Tuner/Capture Card. So maybe this is what causes the problem...

MegaPhilX

Ok, I've checked the long thread on Dell forums and it doesn't seem they have a concrete solution for the problem. Regardless, I've set my Chipset Voltage to 1.50 instead of 1.25. We'll see. I didn,t change the memory voltage since many people on the forum said it made the situation worse...
I've stopped being careful not to make it crash so I go on Youtube as soon as the system starts and I let Youtube videos play while I use Photoshop and MSN, etc.
I'll let you know what happens.
I didn't have Catalyst Control Center on my machine. Only Catalyst Install Manager.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!