1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Random Freezes on Vista at startup

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by ComNewb, Oct 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ComNewb

ComNewb Thread Starter

Hey guys I've been getting some freezes on my PC. I startup, then the Vista logo goes *Brriiing* Then it says loading... When I get to the desktop, after a while it freezes. I cannot move my mouse, when I press Caps Lock, no light lights up on the keyboard. Nothing, just the desktop a stationary cursor and the icons (and the startbar if that helps...)

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Help? lol... I'm running Kaspersky Internet Security 7.0 (problem started somewhen when I installed I think, but may not be root of problem... DUNNOE?!) And the freezes are random, most of the time its fine, but sometimes it freezes and I have to hold the off button for what, 5 secs for it to shutdown, load it back up, hit enter for the "start windows normally" option cuz i din shutdown windows properly and it works (WOW A MIRACLE?) :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

2. mrrb

mrrb

How much memory do you have running?
    Next time, it happens look in your system tray and see if defender and Kaspersky are running at the same time.

I have yet to see a virus scanner and defender run at the same time happily.:)

K

3. ComNewb

ComNewb Thread Starter

Err I have 2 gig RAM and Defender is on together with Kaspersky :D :D I think you found the problem... NOW HOW DO I DISABLE IT??! Lol...

Edit - Okay thanx i turned it off ^.^ THANK YOU!!!

4. ComNewb

ComNewb Thread Starter

Eh the problem still exists, any help anyone?

5. whitefly

whitefly

Random freezes are usually attributed to badly made system drivers. I guarantee it won't be Microsoft's drivers but a third party's. Also Often it's a display adapter like Nvidia driver. Overheating due to lack of cooling is sometimes to blame. If you suspect you anti-virus is to blame uninstall it and see if you computer stops freezing during boot up. If you're a little bit knowledgeable you can look to see what services are running and turn off non microsoft ones, in order to narrow down the culprit. Also Sysinternals now Microsoft do process explorer that can help diagnose the problem if used correctly.

6. ComNewb

ComNewb Thread Starter

Hmm I have been leaving my computer on for many hours at a time, maybe that caused the problem. Is leaving it on for long hours harmful to the computer?

7. whitefly

whitefly

Not necessarily. Some people leave them on all the time without any problems. Personally I turn mine off only If I'm away for a significant amount of time for example during the night (unless I'm downloading a large file) Constantly turning an electronic appliance like a computer on and off all the time is bad practice.
    If you suspect an overheating related problem, take off the side panel and put a domestic home fan near it. Before this check all fans are running i.e. on the CPU heatsink and graphic adapter card. The idea of fans inside the case is to create a flow of air from the front through to the exit fan at the rear. So front fan should suck air in and rear suck air out. (a bit like ventalating a house on a hot day by opening window at front and opening a rear door)

8. ComNewb

ComNewb Thread Starter

Woah okay! I uninstalled Kaspersky and I'm not gonna run my comp so long anymore. Thanks!

9. mrrb

mrrb

ComNewb,

You still need a virus scanner as there are many security loopholes still in Vista. You can disable defender and run it once a day manually.

You do that by right clicking on it in your system tray and a selecting exit. It willl ask you do you want to do so. When it does say yes.

When you want to use it, simply go to your start menu and type in defender. Then click on it.

If you have a brand new computer and overheating is a problem you may want to take it back to the manufacturer.

K

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/643770

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice