1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Random Freezes

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by KiwiChrisP, Jan 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. KiwiChrisP

KiwiChrisP Thread Starter

Hi there I've been fixing and building PC for a while now and this problem has got me stumped. It's a custom build and here are the specs...

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.1
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional , 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 11
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 4094 Mb
    Graphics Card: LogMeIn Mirror Driver, 5 Mb
    Hard Drives:
    C: Total - 76313 MB, Free - 42267 MB;
    D: Total - 190779 MB, Free - 169369 MB;
    E: Total - 199999 MB, Free - 34429 MB;
    F: Total - 953866 MB, Free - 588850 MB;
    G: Total - 38471 MB, Free - 18008 MB;
    J: Total - 239361 MB, Free - 238966 MB;
    Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC., P5N-T DELUXE, 1.XX , 123456789000
    Antivirus: avast! Antivirus, Updated and Enabled

It's actually running a Palin 8800GTS graphics card with an Antec 1000W PSU.

Now the variety of problems I have been having are, sudden and non repeatable freeze's, I can 't duplicate them and they happen totally randomly.
    Also sometimes if the screen saver "Bubbles" has been on for a while they will start to zoom all over the screen like crazy.
    I also seem to loose my "D" drive, it just dissapears from the list of available drives in My Computer.

I keep it regularly updated, scanned and defragged.

I don't have much experience in posting dump or crash files but any help or ideas would be hugely appreciated.

2. Iceblade7

Iceblade7

What type of Drives are these? A drive missing seems like it is either a system board issue or drive issue. With the system locking up that seems like memory or system board but all seem possibly to be heat issues. You may want to try this downloadable program that will show you your system MB temp, CPU temp and Graphics Temp. Either of those going to the red then you have a heat issue which I would likely say is the issue but that Drive going into never never land seems odd. You also may be fighting 2 issues, a drive issue and the main freezing issue. Freezes almost always seem to end up as heat or memory issues.
    Search Google for "Piriform Speccy" its a great program if you think you have a heat issue.

3. techhoney

techhoney

Check your PC for any virus infections and try with different antivirus products.On windows startup if you get a disk check prompt wait until it completes.
    There are many reasons why the OS freezes.It may be due to non-compatible drivers,overheat,non-compatible peripherals or even a disturbance in power make your system freeze.

4. KiwiChrisP

KiwiChrisP Thread Starter

Cheers for the quick replies.
    I'm pretty sure it's not a heat issuse as I designed the case with a pretty good airflow but I will run the MB temp to have a look.
    The Drives are PATA/IDE with a SATA adapter attached to the SATA Ports on the MB, not ideal but I had a lot of older (but good) PATA/IDE drives just lying around.
    I might try a different SATA port but I have a very bad feeling that it might be a MB problem.
    It's running 4x1GB sticks set at the accurate timing and voltage and the CPU is all stock.
    I disk check regularly but that D drive just up and walks out for no reason!
    This is the third time I've installed the OS using a variety of drivers, 1st time just the Windows Signed, second time any available updated ones, third time a mixture, but everytime I run into the same freezing problem.
    Also the graphics card doesn't seem to hold it's driver version info? When I scan it on the nVidia site it says current driver 0.0 even though I've just updated it 5 mins ago?
    Any Ideas?
    Cheers

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/972072

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice