Random freezing on old laptop

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.
Alrighty, armed with the RIGHT drivers this time (my bad) the first one I tried installed with just a warning that my current drivers were newer. Installed anyway, the system rebooted properly on the first try, and I guess we'll wait to see what happens.

Logically if I keep it from crashing then the reboot problem, if related, will be less of a concern.

managed

Allan
Hopefully that driver will work ok. Let us know how it goes.

Sure will. It may crash tonight, it may crash 2 weeks from now, or it won't. There's no pattern to it which is why I stopped in here. Still thinking something must have happened for me to alter the drivers in the first place, so we'll see what it does. One step at a time right? Thanks.

That was a new one. I was simply reading something on a site when it just shut itself off. Never happened before. Pushed the button and it rebooted ok. I'm not on battery, the AC is plugged in.

****. Why must something new pop up. I don't smell anything, yet.

Welp, froze while on Amazon. First boot black screen. Second, the screen lit up with a blinking cursor but went nowhere. Third boot it froze while loading Win and then gave me a blue screen. Machine check exception. The hell is this now?

Gone downhill. I'm surprised to be typing this now as it took almost an hour of retries to get it to boot again. I'm in safe mode. Dunno my next step if there is one.

plodr

Liz
When hardware gives that many problems, it is time to put it out to pasture.
We have 4 Windows 7 computers and so far all of them (two desktops and two netbooks) are working fine. The desktops are from 2006 and 2009 and originally came with XP. The netbooks are newer; purchased in 2011 and 2013.

I did buy an android tablet (10") in 2016 to future-proof myself because I have no intention of running Windows 10. My husband and I are in our 70's and we basically only do email, stream, surf and have Zoom meetings. The tablet came with Word and Excel so I can even read docx and xlsx files.

Think about what you do then decide if a Windows 10 laptop, chromebook or android tablet is a good fit for your needs.

managed

Allan
You could check the ram with Memtest, you make a bootable Usb and boot from that to run the test.

An easy way to make it is to download Easy2boot and run it to create the bootable Usb stick which includes Memtest. When you boot from the Usb stick it will show a Menu, choose Utilities > Memory Test > Memtest86+ and let it run for at least one full pass, it will take quite some time so do it when you don't need to use the laptop, or even better overnight. If you see any errors you can stop the test and test one ram stick at a time until you find the culprit.

Easy2Boot download :- https://www.fosshub.com/Easy2Boot.html?dwl=Easy2Boot_v2.08_password_is_e2b.zip

Nah I get ya. When this started it was a minor nuisance. This crap with the failing boot tells me something else has to be going on. Just wish I knew if I could fix it. If it was hardware related why does safe mode work? The choice is what's more valuable, my time or money. With shortages and everything the prices aren't in my favor. I've had this 8-10 years but I'm also one of those people who only throws things away as a last resort. To be totally honest I'd likely try a new drive and clean install just to see before shelling out for another.

I have a tablet too, several years old. Good for occasional use but I can't stand those tiny on screen KB's. I don't do a lot besides browse. I have consoles for my games and since getting another car I don't need to burn CD's anymore. So I'd have some flexibility in that regard. One idea being a mini PC for the desk so I don't lose all the capabilities I have now, then get a lightweight laptop or chromebook for the times I need portability.

I think I did a RAM test once. Not that I can't do it again. I hesitate to reboot it now because of how long it took last night but if I make a bootable USB that could provide some answers. Telling me the boot record is borked or if the USB fails then the problem is before that step.

Ah well, we'll see. I wanna unwind from work and get cleaned up. Then I'll see if I'm in the mood to fight with it. As long as safe mode stays viable I can still do research or comparisons. Once I restart I'm committed to reaching whatever the next step is. Too bad, I got a couple Pi's around and would switch over to those temporarily if my files were compatible.

managed

Allan
If you aren't already using it 'Safe Mode with Networking' should let you get online.

That's exactly what I'm doing. Hate the resolution right now but it functions. I should mention I don't use a cell phone so if this isn't working, my old tablet is what I'm left with. Suppose I could toss a KB on a console and use that browser in a pinch.

managed

Allan
If you have one you may be able to connect a Usb keyboard to the tablet or a Pi.

Oh I have parts. Never looked to see if there's a version of Firefox for Linux. Then I could pass my bookmarks and logins, get a temporary setup and take my time with this one.

*Turns out there is. Wish I was linux-literate enough to get it installed and running though. Maybe my Roku would work. Geez, this one problem is snowballing out of control.

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online