1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Random Freezing (XP version)

Discussion in 'Games' started by MHYoshimitzu, Sep 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MHYoshimitzu

MHYoshimitzu Thread Starter

Well, for those of you who don't know, take a look at this topic:

http://forums.techguy.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=143727

This is the first Random Freezing topic, and since I upgraded to Windows XP, Rolling' Rog suggested I make a topic in this section.

Update: The problem seems to have been isolated to just games now. This is probably due to XP, and I only experience minor display problems in Internet Explorer. (i.e. Icons don't load, screen flashes, etc. Nothing that hinders me from using it.) Games like Diablo II will load no problem, then lock up during gameplay (and in the same places to, these are no longer "random" freezes). Games like Medal of Honor however, will not load at all. It won't load something called OpenGL.

XP seemed to have fixed a lot of problems, but the problems with games still remain. Since I have minor display problems, I think this might be a video card problem. One thing my dad noticed after XP was installed was that our sound card was not the default one selected, and he had to manually select it in order for it to work. Could this be the same case for the video card, or should I try downloading an XP driver and see how that turns out?

2. PCfixer

PCfixer

I notice you have very little RAM and not fast RAM at that, I feel an upgrade coming on....It's just not expensive these days to treat yourself to whole chunk of RAM, I'd ditch the PC 100 and go for a single stick of 512 at PC 133, getting rid of the other RAM will at least ensure you run at 133, if you decide to mix and match make sure that you MB supports two PC speeds and won't default to the lowest speed.
    Also you must put on the latest Detonator drivers for Nvidea on, it never hurts to upgrade, If you have any cover discs from games mags, thats where I get mine, but you can always go to Nvidea
    A stick of 512 SD 133 will come in at under £45, look around ebay for some silly prices......And if you want to cure any freezing after that have a think about a copy of XP, I suffered with freezing games on 98SE, its not the best OS, hope this helps

3. MHYoshimitzu

I'm not sure what you meant by upgrading to PC133... I thought I could only use PC100 since that's what fits in my RAM slots. I have 384 mbs of RAM, and one of the problems that has not been solved is the incredibly high usage of RAM for programs. I could be using a couple hundred megs just to run one program!

And you said gaming magazines offer the latest video card downloads if they come with a demo CD? Hmm, I think I'll look into that...

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

I would focus on the video driver issue for now. You do have only one recognized adapter in the Device Manager, right? If there are two you should disable the one that isn't being used (the onboard one)

If you don't have the latest drivers for those you should download them.

Any way, for the record your motherboard page is here:

http://www.via.com.tw/en/apollo/KT133A.jsp

PC 133 is a speed rating. Your motherboard supports it. You can use lower rated ram, but the lower rate will be the default. And if you are using mixed speeds, it is not always compatible unless the ram modules are matched to size.

5. Emtronics

Emtronics

SIS video chipsets have problems running some games in XP. Have you checked the game's website and see if anyone is also complaining of freezes in the game? I know the SIMMS 4 website knows and admits that if you have SIS video, you're out of luck. They'll even send you a sealed game upon proof of purchase and you sending your game to them first, so you can return it unopened to place of purchase. Video is the first place, but having two soundcards isn't right either. Enter SETUP (BIOS) and make sure the settings are correct there also. Sorry, if you have already done this, I didn't read your other post.

6. MHYoshimitzu

Someone also mentioned the fact that I may have bad RAM. He suggested that I go in and check every stick of RAM by running on just one at a time, and see if it freezes or not. I'm willing to try this, unless you think I shouldn't.

Another thing also posed to me was my video card. It's a Geforce 4, and I've been told that Geforce cards don't work well with games.

Also, since this is now strictly a game problem, can someone move this to the Games Section? Thanks.

7. Emtronics

Emtronics

GForce cards are of the Nvidia chipset and work extremely well with all video games. IMO, nvidia video is the best you can have. I run the same card on two of my systems and video is never a problem. The RAM idea is a good suggestion. When things are acting goofy, then RAM should be looked at.

8. PCfixer

PCfixer

MHYoshimitzu, what strange planet do you come from? A Geforce 4 AGP is just about as good as it gets, to say it doesn't work well with games a silly, I can't imagine who told you this but there's being wrong and then there's being very wrong.....and he was.
    Its primary job is games and its support from nVIDEA is good, with up to date drivers etc.
    As for the question of RAM, I'll try to explain again about the different speeds, SDRAM or any RAM come to that, has a working speed, you can have a stick of 256mb at PC133 or one at PC100, the one at PC133 is going to work faster, some motherboards don't like it when you mix two speeds together, at best the PC will only work at the lowest PC* speed, so heres what to do
    Take the side of the machine, if it's an ATX case look at the top right hand side of MB you should see the slots dedicated to RAM, if you have more than one stick in, pull them both out and have a look on the side of them both, it should be stamped with either PC100 or PC133, if you find that you have two sticks of RAM with diferent speeds, than leave one out (THE ONE WITH LOWEST PC SPEED), a tricky one this because you want the most out of your RAM, so for example if you have a stick of 256 @ PC100 and another stick of 128mb @ PC133 then you'd be best sticking with the lower PC speed but more RAM, put one of the sticks of RAM back in and boot up, if this cures the problem then your OK because SDRAM is a cheap as it gets at the moment, you could bob down to ebay a pick up a stick 512mb @ PC133 for very little, have a dig around, i've found RAM at some silly prices.
    The easiest way to find all this out is to simply take the side of the PC and have a look, try a stick at a time, there's plenty of slots but the chances are you'll only have two sticks at the most, probabley just one, if you've never upgraded, if there is just one stick in then there can be no confliction so leave it allone at that point, only follow these instructions if you have more than one stick in.
    If you still no to sure drop me a line back and I'll try to help, sometimes if your not used to taking the side of the PC it can be a spooky place, but pulling out RAM and putting it in has to be one of the easiest upgrades to do, no messing about with Drivers and the like, your PC will automatically see the new RAM on boot and all should be sweet, you can check the RAM size in DXDIAG (go to RUN and type in dxdiag and hit return)

9. MHYoshimitzu

Someone told me that Geforce cards in general were bad with games. Guess he was wrong then, lol.

I currently have 384 mbs of RAM. We made sure that everything we bought was PC100. I believe we have 2 sticks of 128, one of 64, and the video card gave us another 64. So the only thing I can think of is that one of them might be corrupted. I'm going to wait until my dad gets home (Sunday) because he's always done the hardware upgrades, and if he figures out I did something to the computer (hardware wise) that he didn't know about, well, let's just say he won't be happy. We'll see what happens then.

10. McTimson

McTimson

Video card RAM does not get used as system RAM, it is only used for video stuff....so you only have 320MB of RAM.

11. PCfixer

PCfixer

Your AGP Memory is nothing to do with system RAM, however, the fact that you have three sticks of RAM means that there is room for confliction, time to pull out a stick at a time, start with the smallest and check in DXDIAG to make sure the machine is seeing the changes, if at some point if the machine works OK, then go and buy (or tap your Dad up) for a nice large single stick of 512 @133, should cost little more than a good PC game!
    Good luck
    If this all doesn't work, we could look at MB chipset conflictions, 4 in 1 drivers etc let us know how you get on.......Dave

12. McTimson

McTimson

Before you decide to just buy a stick of 512MB though, make sure your motherboard can support that much, and check how much each memory slot can hold.

13. PCfixer

PCfixer

Good advice but I'd be more than suprised if it didn't, he's managed to get a AGP G4 card in it, if it doesn't support a stick of 512 perhaps the motherboard would be a good place to start sorting out your problems

14. PCfixer

PCfixer

If you send me the name of your Motherboard (Soltek etc) I'll check for you.....no probs

15. MHYoshimitzu

This is the info Aida32 gave me on my motherboard:

Motherboard Properties
    Motherboard ID 06/26/2000-VT8363-VT686A-6A6LMF09C-00
    Motherboard Name FIC AZ11/AZ31

Front Side Bus Properties
    Bus Type DEC Alpha EV6
    Bus Width 64-bit
    Real Clock 100 MHz (DDR)
    Effective Clock 200 MHz
    Bandwidth 1600 MB/s

Memory Bus Properties
    Bus Type SDR SDRAM
    Bus Width 64-bit
    Real Clock 100 MHz
    Effective Clock 100 MHz
    Bandwidth 800 MB/s

Chipset Bus Properties
    Bus Type PCI
    Bus Width 32-bit
    Real Clock 33 MHz
    Effective Clock 33 MHz
    Bandwidth 133 MB/s

Motherboard Manufacturer
    Company Name First International Computer, Inc.
    Product Information http://www.fic.com.tw/product/motherboard
    BIOS Download http://www.fic.com.tw/support/motherboard

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/168361

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice