Random Game Stutter/rubberband

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Crisps

i've recently built a pc roughly 6 months ago, since then ive been reluctant to add anything to my build until yesterday. i noticed my pc started to get random stutters and rubber banding in every single game i play, i figured it might be a cpu issue so i picked up a new cooler (Corsair H100i v2) i installed it and its working great. But i don't know if that was the issue. I've spoken to a few of my friends that are into pc's, one told me to uninstall the graphics driver and re-install it to see if there was a bug anywhere, well there was an update but it doesn't seemed to have fixed anything to my knowledge. On top of the random stutter issues i've been checking my cpu load during games and other various tasks, it seems to be running oddly high, but it could be normal. I dont have any issues for the most part on other programs such as google chrome, but on the other side skype has seemed to be drawing an awful lot of cpu usage randomly, i dont know how to limit the usage or even if it needs to be. I don't know where to begin even looking for a problem at this point, it could be a bad driver in the GPU or the CPU is throttling for some reason, i even reset the cpu and im still noticing the issue.

Here is my current parts list of everything in my pc

CPU: Intel core i5 6500 Quad core 3.20Ghz (Locked)
Motherboard: ASUS z-170A ATX
GPU: EVGA GTX 960 Superclocked 4GB
RAM: 16GB of corsair vengeance (2x 8GB sticks)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2
HDD: Western Digital caviar blue 1TB
SSD: Kingston 120GB
Power Supply: Evga 500 Watt Bronze Certified
Case: NZXT s340
And i have an ASUS wireless card if it matters

Here is my current parts list from PC part picker just for anyone who is curious https://gyazo.com/d91ae11a8bd0ee063b2c683e66c4e00c

Everything i have is within my power supply's range of operation, no stress is being added by going over my wattage, and i am also not overclocking anything.

If anyone could provide me with any ideas or answers to what you know/believe the problem to be, please let me know before i buy new parts in a desperate attempt to fix the problem it would be greatly appreciated, because i am just about out of ideas and possible things to search looking for an answer.

And to add my internet isn't the issue i have full connection to my room on my pc and my phone, roughly 85Mbs down and roughly 80Mbs up, i even tried resetting the router to see if it fixed the issue and it didnt, i also dont believe this to be the issue because it probably would have happened right after i finished building.

The stuttering/rubber banding covers every game i have from Minecraft all the way to something like GTA V, and to add one last thing i dont have a difference in fps when the stuttering isnt happening/after it finished stuttering, but my fps does drop when my games stutter.

Prior to this post ive been getting random stuttering/lag on almost all of my programs
Thanks in advance for all help/advice!

Last edited:
It sounds like you have been using this PC for 6 months without issues. Then, you started getting lag while playing games, so you added a new cooler. Is this correct?

And just to clarify something else in your post, the graphics card update occurred after the issue had already presented itself, correct?

Crisps

It sounds like you have been using this PC for 6 months without issues. Then, you started getting lag while playing games, so you added a new cooler. Is this correct?

And just to clarify something else in your post, the graphics card update occurred after the issue had already presented itself, correct?

Yes the stuttering started happening before the driver update was installed, once i noticed the stuttering i checked for an update, installed the update and the stutter was still there and is still there.

After i found out the driver update didnt fix anything thats when i changed coolers because i thought the cpu was overheating/throttling

I'm assuming you are using your ASUS PCE-N15 wireless adapter while playing these games. Can you try a hard wired connection to your router? I just want to rule out it being a connection issue with the router.

Crisps

I'm assuming you are using your ASUS PCE-N15 wireless adapter while playing these games. Can you try a hard wired connection to your router? I just want to rule out it being a connection issue with the router.
Yes i have tried wired and currently am using wired but it cant stay that way, the stuttering stops once i'm on a wired connection.

If the stuttering stops on a wired connection, then the issue is most likely the wireless card, unless the issue is at the router or a weak connection between the two. I doubt this has anything to do with the graphics card or overheating.

I would try uninstalling and reinstalling your driver for your wireless adapter. The driver can be found HERE. Choose your operating system and then choose the first entry.

Do you recall any updates occurring in regards to the graphics card shortly before this issue?

Crisps

If the stuttering stops on a wired connection, then the issue is most likely the wireless card, unless the issue is at the router or a weak connection between the two. I doubt this has anything to do with the graphics card or overheating.

I would try uninstalling and reinstalling your driver for your wireless adapter. The driver can be found HERE. Choose your operating system and then choose the first entry.

Do you recall any updates occurring in regards to the graphics card shortly before this issue?
The last major update that was put on my pc was the windows 10 anniversary update, but the issues didn't start right after the update, weeks or even a month later. And i have recently purchased a "TP link Archer T8E" wireless card in an effort to fix the issue, still hasn't resolved anything, the lag is just different. At this point i do believe my router is the problem.

I'm not sure what the make and model of your router is. If it has both 2.4GHz and and 5GHz, I'm going to guess you are currently connected to 2.4GHz. I would try moving to 5GHz. Most wireless devices use 2.4GHz band. The more devices on the frequency, the more crowded it gets, and the slower your connection becomes.

If switching to 5GHz doesn't help, you can try changing the frequency channel on each of the frequency bands as well. Normally, your router will be set to auto and be using one of the following channels: 1, 6, or 11. This causes these channels to become crowded, thus causing you to experience lag. You can manually set your channel and see if that improves. The idea is to be as far away from the crowded channels as possible.

You are more than welcome to experiment with this. I can't walk you through it unless I know the make and model of your router.

All and all, wireless really isn't suitable where no lag is absolutely needed. There's just too much that can cause interference with wireless.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online