1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Random hitching on high end pc when idle on desktop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Zygotex, Jan 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zygotex

Zygotex Thread Starter

My build:
    Intel i5 2500K
    ASRock Z77 Pro4 mobo
    MSI GTX 970 8GB
    Memory (2 x 4 corsair vengeance)
    GX 750W 80+ bronze
    120gb Samsung SSD to run OS on
    1tb HDD 3tb HDD
    Windows 7

Now, this has only just started happening today and I can't figure out why, but when I'm on the desktop with just music playing through Spotify as I usually do, I get random hitches every 3 minutes or so where the computer locks up and the audio stutters like crazy, this usually happens for around 2 seconds at a time

What I've noticed: I use MSI afterburner to monitor this and CPU is at around 20% when idle and then when the stutter happens it jumps up to around 75% usage then falls back to 20% again Temperature doesn't change and stays at around 30 degrees

What I've tried: Running computer in safe mode and running adwcleaner, rkill, tdsskiller, malware bytes full scan. Nothing has been found so I don't suspect a virus

I'm not sure whether the stuttering was happening or not in safe mode because there was no sound and I wasn't moving the mouse around too much

I've tried looking for the culprit in task manager but no applications seem too demanding

Thank you for reading, I have no idea what this could be and I've been googling solutions all day but can't find any that work.

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Cpu at 20% at idle looks too high to me. Look at Task Manager's processes tab to see what's using the Cpu so much.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1141237

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice