Random Internet Blips Ruining Gaming

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

DentalInsurance

Hello all!

I play some games online casually, primarily League of Legends, and about every second sitting the internet has frequent 'blips' of going down for long enough to make the game have connection issues. I've noticed it is the sending that goes down and if the receiving goes down at all, then it is very quick. (The game still plays and I see everything that is happening but cannot respond. This happens in Rift too the rare time I play it and the even rarer flash games I play). Though I have tried many things to fix this issue, it hasn't truly bothered me that much until recently when I realized I play even less than I normally would out of fear the game session will be ruined by the internet.

About half a year ago the internet was in very bad shape. It crashed often and stayed down for a long time. My ISP is Comcast (Or Xfinity...), and it took me many weeks of harassing their customer support (off and on) for them to fix it. Then it ran smoothly for a couple months before it started having these blips.

The details:
When it has a blip, before, during, and afterwards (I've sat by the modem to watch it happen), there is no indication of the internet having trouble on the modem indicator lights. Nothing changes, and they flash at about the same rate as normal. The router I have is a Linksys, and nothing seems to change on it either during a blip.

I have the games port forwarded. All my firewalls including the windows firewall are off. I have updated my wifi and internet drivers on my computer and am using the firmware recommended to me by my ISP for the router.

First off, is it possible my wifi signal from the computer is weak? If not, what else could it be?

Thanks,
Dental

TerryNet

Terry
Do you have the same problem with an ethernet connection to the router? To the modem?

Playing intenet based games over WiFi? Can you really expect not to have issues?

DentalInsurance

I have the same problem when connected directly to the router. The problem isn't there when connected directly to the modem, but I cannot always do that because other people need the internet too.

@Rockn: On the occasional time I take my laptop to a friend's house and use my wireless with their connection, there have been no issues.

I'm just hoping buying a new router isn't the only route to take to fix this problem. The router is a Cisco Linksys WRT54G2 with 1.0.04 firmware.

Couriant

James
When you get disconnected when connected to the router, does anyone else?

DentalInsurance

Yes and no. Or should I say sometimes? It's weird.

When I am disconnected from the router, sometimes others don't notice anything, but they are often watching something they have already finished downloading (like some stream), or aren't doing anything active on the internet. I have made my room mate check if he has a connection a couple times and he usually has a very very slow connection making a web page load exceptionally slow (while I have none whatsoever). These issues ONLY seem to happen if I play a game. No one else here plays anything to my knowledge outside of flash games, which don't always seem to cause it to back up.

TerryNet

Terry
I have the same problem when connected directly to the router. The problem isn't there when connected directly to the modem, but I cannot always do that because other people need the internet too.
Then it's probably a router problem. Make sure you have the latest firmware for it; then reset it to factory default settings and reconfigure it.

If the blips continue I would do another test by disabling the wireless (set the wireless mode to 'off' or 'none'). If the blips continue that way I think another router is about the only hope. If no blips with the wireless disabled then we can consider that maybe wireless interference is the cause.

There's also an outside chance that a fault somewhere in the electrical supply could cause this. If the router is plugged into a power strip try a different one or plug it directly into a wall outlet.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online