1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Random Internet Cutout

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Simpletown, Aug 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Simpletown

Simpletown Thread Starter

My internet works normally 70% of the time.
    The other 30% of the time i have very very very little connectivity.
    What I mean by that is I can be using the internet fine and the next minute it is so slow that AIM will cut out, MSN will cut out, browser will either be very slow loading if loading at all. The wierd thing is that it kind of bounces up and down, during the times where everything is slow, sometimes it will load a page or connect to AIM, and 5 seconds later completely be out again.

I no longer run it through my wireless router, I get the same problem directly connected to the modem.
    I dont run the cable through a splitter.
    I've changed out network cables many times.
    I've turned off all firewalls.

Somedays this happens 3 times an hour, or once a day, or not at all. I dont see a pattern, I am lost. Any ideas out there?

2. wacor

wacor Banned

Do you have DSL?

3. Simpletown

I would also like to add it only did it once yesterday, and up to 5 times today (about same internet use both days) and the other days are random as well.

4. Simpletown

I have Charter (Cable)

5. wacor

wacor Banned

do you have cable tv also?

if so then where the cable enters the house did they spit off there and then run a direct line up to the computer??

have you contacted Charter?

6. Simpletown

I contacted Charter and they give me the normal routine. Unplug the router for 45 seconds, check for splitters. I've gone through it and nothing. I will try it again.

7. wacor

wacor Banned

so you are still going thru the router by with wires now?

or is your box a combination modem and router?

8. Simpletown

Since the problem started, I've switched from wired to the router, to directly wired to the modem.

Another thing I would like to point out is that at all times the lights on the modem are normal. During the down times the lights blink normal.

9. wacor

wacor Banned

you might see if there is firware for the modem.

could be a bad modem too but not sure how you would verify that.

afraid i am at a loss from here on by maybe somebody else will chime in

10. TreyDawgMT

TreyDawgMT

Like wacorsaut said, see if there's a firmware update. Unless other people in your immediate area are experencing this problem I'd assume its a modem problem. One way to check this is to see if you can find a friend with a laptop to come over and see if they have the same issues. If they do not, then it might be some virus or spyware problem, or something else on your computer. If they do have the problem, I'd assume its a modem problem. I have seen bad modems cause this particular problem though.

11. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    What TreyDawgMT said, plus ...

Right click on an empty spot on the taskbar and select Task Manager. Get familiar with the Processes tab and the Networking tab. When you get the slowdowns, those two areas may help you determine
    a. Is some process using a bunch of the CPU? If so, is it malware, or something normal?
    b. Is the network being used? Maybe by Windows Update, or anti-virus update, or malware?

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/489774

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice