Random Internet Disconnects

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

strtrcr88

I have Bell Sympatico HSE (DSL) (Canada) that goes through a Linksys Wired router. Randomly and consistently over the last 1 or 2 years my connection just decides to pack it up for the day. I'll be right in the middle of something and suddenly pages wont load. I have to turn off the modem and router and let it all reset itself. Sometimes happens before the internet is opened too....

Dell Dimension 8100
P4 1.4ghz
384mb RDRAM
XP Home

Thanks

valis

well, it sure sounds like a connectivity issue, like your router is losing power or spiking itself....the ohter thing that comes to mind is that your cpu is overheating, and when you give the routers a rest, it cools down to allow access again.....does this happen after it's been on a while, or truly randomly? And with what frequency? And how long do you have to wait?

Should also check with your isp, and see if you can ping out.

strtrcr88

i think the cpu overheating thing is definately not the case, no overclocking and the performance of the pc isnt affected. Im also in a relatively cool house in the basement so all should be okay for that. Sometimes its just when its been sitting around doing nothing, it just takes a quick on-off-on switch for the router and modem. Its not really off long enough to cool down. recently its been a bit worse than i remember but it has always been a problem. I think it was at least 2 times today, usually daily i think, not always....

valis

doubt it's yer cpu either, but wanted to throw that out there....next time it happens, go to start > run > type in cmd, hit enter, and type in ping 66.102.7.99. That's google, they should be up, and if you can get to them, then it's most likely a setting somewhere.

strtrcr88

ohk i will do but i doubt itll work. Nothing works: firefox, IE, forecastfox, Winamp, MSN.

How realistic is the power supply thing??? There was no problem Pre-router! All your help is much appreciated valis!!!

valis

well, if it's a spotty cable to your router, you would get those types of errors....I had a small network drop off a much bigger network, much to my consternation, at work. Turned out to be that the power cable to the Linksys switch was bad. It would short out, the server would lose connection with all 16 pc's, then have to re-establish connections with all. Considerably slowed everything down. Replaced the cable, all is ducky now. That's why my first knee-jerk response was the power cable to the router.

But I'm sure you checked to make sure you had power to it the entire time.

strtrcr88

the thing is that there isnt any reason why i would suspect a bad power conection. The router lights go out and my modem doesnt turn off at all, just the LAN, Line Rx and Line Tx lights stop doing their regular thing. could it just a nonconsistent power that wouldnt turn it all the way off?

valis

very easily could be that. If hte router lights go out, they are not getting power. that could be the issue right htere. Do you have a duplicate power cable to test it with? Or just plug one pc in straight to the modem, and see what happens. Bypass the router entirely.

strtrcr88

sorry that was a typo, i meant that the lights on the router dont go out. This whole disconnect problem only started when the router was added. I will plugging the router directly into the wall and bypass the surge protector and see if that helps at all. With any luck now that im asking for help, itll never happen again!

How long have you had the router? It could just be at the end of it's life, and you might need a new one. :)

strtrcr88

i wish it was that easy...i havent had it long at all. And it did this the entire time ive had it...so chances are if it is toast then i'll just live with it...i guess

valis

just for kicks, run it from the wall, to the modem, to a pc, and see if hte problem replicates itself. that would eliminate or incriminate the router.

strtrcr88

ohk well i think power supply is my problem. I moved the power that the modem and router were on to the other pwr bar and moved the AC adapter for the router to the wall. I then had exactly the same problem right after it all powered up and i had to reset it just like before. So i have a feeling that the router's power supply is garbage, either from the pwr bar or from the adapter. i'll have to see after a bit to see what its like...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts