1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Random Jagged Lines in Oblivion

Discussion in 'Games' started by Amazing Jim, Aug 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Amazing Jim

Amazing Jim Thread Starter

Can anyone give me a clue as to what causes these weird lines? I used to see them very occasionally when playing Star Wars Galaxies with an ATI x700, but as of today I've updated to a GeForce 6600 and they're everywhere on Oblivion.

There seems to be no set pattern to them, worse when moving, and shift positions when you Alt+Tab out and back into the game.

I've updated with newest NVidia drivers, checked the connections, cleaned out any dust hiding around, installed a new 400w PSU, and played around for ages with the games resolutions and options, but not hit a solution so far.

Anyone got an idea? Thanks very much.

Attached Files:

2. Amazing Jim

Replying to myself, if anyone else saw this and has the same problem it seems to have been cured by enabling "Antroscopic-Filtering", whatever that is.

3. Smety

Smety

These lines are called artifacts, they usually happen when a card is overheated, or has gone bad . . .

4. Amazing Jim

Artifacts huh? Cool, I've got something new!

In the end I got so sick of messing around trying to get rid of them that I took the card back to the store and got a refund. Not sure whether I just got unlucky or an Nvidia 6600 is garbage, but I'd rather not play the game than waste 4 hours trying to make it work right. I'll be ordering an shiny new ATI x1600pro (526mb) instead.

With regards to that card and it's artifacts, it didn't support temp monitoring but it did feel pretty warm and I thought the cooling fan look a bit on the tiny side, although the case temperature was pretty normal. Maybe it was just a bad card to start with.

Are these artifact problems always card related? or should I check around for anything else in the system while I'm waiting on a new card to arrive?

On a side note, I've tried to read up on artifacts online, but I keep getting referred to articles about lost treasure and ancient Egypt etc. Any suggestions on a good site to research this kind of stuff?

5. JEBWrench

JEBWrench

Try googling video + artifacting. In addition, check out wikipedia for artifacting.

6. Amazing Jim

Artifacting, that did it, much better results, thanks.

Also, after a fast scan through of the pile of posts from people with the same problem, I noticed quickly a LOT of people getting it with NVidia 6600's, like the one I had that went back to the store today. Sounds like a common problem.

Typical I guess that you only really research a fault after it's happened. Fortunately it's only cost me a day or two I suppose, not too bad.

7. JEBWrench

JEBWrench

I think there might be a cooling issue with the card - you might want to look into a GPU cooling fan.

8. lisakmusco

lisakmusco

How did you do this? If I am interpreting what you said, and the pictures correctly, I think my husband has complained of a similar issue in his RCT3. Only he's found that individual instances of it go away as soon as he manipulates the next piece. But it still annoys him and if I can find a way to correct it it would be good. One less thing for him to be unhappy about.

9. Amazing Jim

Sorry, the filtering 'fix' didn't actually fix it, it just looked like it had for a while, but it might be worth a shot. The control to turn it on and off was on the graphics control panel (software) somewhere, probably near the anti-aliasing settings, if you/he want to try it. Also, I think some programs have individual controls in their own graphics options, Oblivion did. It's kind of a 'poke around the options till you see it' deal.

In the end I returned the card to the store and bought a new ATI card instead, which fixed the problem completely. I think I probably had a faulty card, it was brand new, less than 4 hours old and was giving these lines within 20 minutes of play. Maybe just that one card, but with that and the painful setup, it convinced me not to buy another NVidia for sure.

The common answer for the cause of the lines seems to be overheating, I've had that suggested a few times. Check the computer fans, especially any on the graphics card, but worth looking at them all anyway, clear out dust, make sure they move freely, that kind of thing. If the whole case/system seems to be running too hot then looking into a new or extra fan. If everything is running reasonably cool and ok, then it might be something more complex, worn out card, driver problems etc. But heat seems to be most people's first thought.

Good luck, hope your husband cheers up!

10. lisakmusco

lisakmusco

How do I know the temperature and if it is too hot?
    I did actually go in this weekend and blow out some dust, as I was swapping out the CD-ROM. I don't know if it made any difference or not yet, and have yet to find the settings you are speaking of, but will explore more.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/490565

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice