1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Random Keyboard Input

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by squishylaroo, Jan 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. squishylaroo

squishylaroo Thread Starter

Hi,
    I have had an annoying problem with my laptop for sometime now, resulting in me having to use an external keyboard and starting to get fed up with this and hope someone can save my sanity and help me resolve this problem.

I have a Dell Latitude E5500 with Windows 7. When using the keyboard to type anything, any letter I press, displays something completely different. I might press the letter "f" and get "dhjamc" - it doesn't do the same random letters all the time, they are random with what comes up. I have tried the following:
    Drivers updated
    BIOS updated
    Re-seating the keyboard
    Windows resintalled (tried various versions)

Nothing has worked.

The touchpad works fine.

I currently will use an external keyboard, be it wireless or wired and works fine.

I would believe it to be the onboard keyboard but before I spend money to replace it, I wanted to see if anyone might know of anything I have missed out to try.

Will be eternally grateful if someone has had the same problem and has fixed it. Even if it meant spending the money to fix it with a new keyboard, at least it will put my mind at rest.

Thanks in advance.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/975399

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice