1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Random Lock ups becoming more frequent - Stop error message

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by ironfist, Jan 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ironfist

ironfist Thread Starter

For a while now I am getting random lock ups with Windows XP Professional. I have the latest updates and have cleaned temp files, cleared out the hard drive and registry (using registry cleaner not just pratting around in there).

I once (about a week back) got a Stop Error for no aparent reason. It said Machine_Check_Error and I got this code

Stop: 0x0000009C(0x00000004, 0x80545FF0, 0xB2000000, 0x00070F0F)

I was told to remove any new hardware. I don't have any new hardware this just came out of the blue. I have SuSE 10.0 onanother harddrive but i dont think it is the problem as these lock ups happened before. I was told that it sounds like RAM or my graphics card. I do also seem to have a graphics problem in Linux and previously on another Windows installation I got problems with my graphics card.

Any input?

Thanks

Ironfist

2. blues_harp28

blues_harp28 Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

3. blues_harp28

4. ironfist

ironfist Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback, sound like the memory then because I don't overclock and the case and room is nice and cool.

Why has it started happening now though? I have had this RAM for a few months and there hasn't been a problem till about a week ago.

Any other ideas?

Thanks

Ironfist

5. blues_harp28

Hi..Machine_Check_Error..can be for many reasons..
    Cpu..system overheating..faulty Ram..Faulty hardware..
    On a friends system..uninstalled Nvidia IDE drviver and hey presto..
    Any info on the aumha site that was useful??

6. ironfist

ironfist Thread Starter

Ok looked through the system logs and found the instance of the STOP eor. It just says the exact same thing so is of very little use to me. There are no errors or warning that seem to be related to the lock ups. They all seem to be about the network or the clock being wrong.

Help

Ironfist

7. blues_harp28

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!