1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Random Lockups

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bbq112, Jun 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bbq112

bbq112 Thread Starter

Hello,

My System Specs:
    Pentium 4 3.2 Ghz
    1 gig DDR II
    GigaByte GA-8I945 GMF
    LG DVD-RW
    LG CD-RW
    Western Digital 80GB
    Maxtor 160GB
    500W PSU
    Windows XP SP2

Fans:
    CPU Fan
    Front Fan
    Back Fan

My Problem:
    For the last few weeks my computer suffers from Random Lock-ups.
    I have made the following test:
    1. Memtest-more than 3 passes.
    2. HD Tests with the manufactor's diagnostic utilities: Data Lifeguard and Seatools.
    3. I have tested the computer with only a single Memory chip at a time(3 Mem Chips), but the lockups still happen
    4. I have made full formats on both hard drives and made a clean install of XP SP2
    5. I have used Passmark BurnInTest, and couldn't finish the tests due to lockups.
    6. I have opened the case in order to put a real Fan(big one) outside the case.

I am currently out of Ideas what can be the problem: Heat Related, PSU, CPU, Motherboard or something else.

2. andyspeake

andyspeake

what do you mean by lock-ups?

3. bbq112

bbq112 Thread Starter

When a random lockup happens the display freezes(you can see the last display), the sound freezes(you hear: trtrtrtrt:) ), the keyboard and mouse don't respond, Ctrl+alt+delete doesn't work, I can hear that the Hard Drive operation stops....

It happens completely in random operations and with different programs, it even happens when the computer is idle.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Some things to check.
    1 Check your temps in the bios right after a lockup / reboot.
    2 Swap in a known good power supply of good quality ie anteck enermax, coolmax, or sparkle. Another option here is to test yours with a ps tester like this one
    3 Give the board a very close inspection with a bright light. Look for any leaking / bulging capacitors on the board. If you find one, you have found your problem.

FWIW gigabyte boards seem to have problems after 1-2 years. At that point the failure rate goes up very fast.

5. dick471

dick471

There is another item that happened to me last night. Today I'm having lock-ups in W2000. I had just defrag my "C" drive and decided to defrag my system files during boot---NFG! Caused lock-ups today. Restored using TI-10 and did not defrag system files---works perfectly!

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/589814

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice