1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Random Logical Drive Causing Start-Up Error

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BlessedWarrior, Sep 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BlessedWarrior

BlessedWarrior Thread Starter

Desktop

Out of nowhere my computer now has an error every time it starts up. It mentions a hard disk failure, telling me it is Disk 6 that is defective (My actual hard drive is fine and boots up normally -but slowly- after dismissing the error). After locating Disk 6 it turns out that it is labeled as SanDisk SDSA5DK-016G-1006 . Disk 6 is a "logical" drive and there is no way (that I have tried) to remove it. When using Disk Management I can see the disk but I cannot delete it or edit it in any way . I have tried disabling and uninstalling it in the device manager, but it still causes an error regardless. I have tried using the "clean" command in DiskPart but it did nothing. I have tried the built-in Windows start-up repair and still nothing.

Here are some images to hopefully help you get an idea of how to fix this issue.

Initialize Error.PNG

This error is every time I try to initialize Disk 6.

Logical Disk.PNG
    3rd party disk management tool shows me that the disk is "bad" and is a logical drive. Tool gives me no options to perform on the disk. Shows the disk is 14GB-15GB in size with nothing in it.

Device Manager.PNG

This is the culprit causing the start-up error. Disabling and uninstalling does not stop it from causing the error.

2. dmccoy

dmccoy

First Name:
    Darrin
    What is that disk? It look like it is a removable drive since it is only approx 15GB.

3. dmccoy

dmccoy

First Name:
    Darrin
  4. BlessedWarrior

Thank you for responding. After checking the specs of my system, it does indeed come with a built in Sandisk 16GB, the same model as the one you posted. However, I am not sure exactly what it is. Is it an attachment of some sort?
    Link to all of my PC specs: https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04072036
    I assume that I have to manually remove this from my computer?
    16gb drive.PNG

5. dmccoy

dmccoy

First Name:
    Darrin
    I would recommend removing it since it is showing bad. It is not needed and is only used as an extra cache drive to make it faster.

6. BlessedWarrior

I will remove it when I get a chance and I will mark as solved for now. Thank you very much for your help!

7. dmccoy

dmccoy

First Name:
    Darrin
    You're welcome. Good luck. Let us know if you need anything else.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1216338

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice