Random Opening CD Rom

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

SoloTOandO

Hello all, One of my managers wants me to come over and look at his PC. He's running Window ME (YUCK!!!) and he says whenever he is on-line, his CD ROM just starts opening and closing. He thinks it's a virus. I was thinking its just a bad CD ROM or Win ME.

Sidenotes, his process is 1GHz. That's he knows to tell me. I have a pretty far drive to go to his house and before I go I need some brainstorming ideals of what I should be looking for. He wants to avoid me reformatting his hardrive (I might have to if it is a virus and how long has it been on his PC). He also says has had McAfee but has never updated it cause he thought it was free. I suggested downloading and running AVG, Spy-bot or Ad-ware, and Spy Blaster.

Only suggestions I can think of are:
1. Suggest a new CD ROM/Burner
2. Install a more up-to-date OS

This is all the info I have to go on. Thanks in advance.

A friend of mine had this happen to her when ever she was on-line. A local computer store guy told her that it was more than likely a hacker "jerking around" with her. I don't know if it was a hacker or not, she up-graded her whole system, and the problem went away ...

If you think he has a virus, and his AV program(s) didn't pick it up, download HJT and post your log here. Someone will be able to help you.

Also, you could try looking in Task Manager to see if anything that would use the CD Rom is running in the background - it's a real long shot, but something may not have loaded properly and his PC might still be trying to do it for him.
Might be worth a shot....?

SoloTOandO

Ok here is the log file:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 8:21:02 PM, on 7/1/2005
Platform: Windows ME (Win9x 4.90.3000)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mmtask.tsk
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPREXE.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\NETWORK ASSOCIATES\MCAFEE VIRUSSCAN\VSHWIN32.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\NETWORK ASSOCIATES\MCAFEE VIRUSSCAN\VSSTAT.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\RESTORE\STMGR.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\KODAK\HYDRA_DR\DCFSSVC.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\POPUPER.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SYSTRAY.EXE
C:\COMPAQ\CPQINET\CPQINET.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\NETWORK ASSOCIATES\MCAFEE VIRUSSCAN\AVCONSOL.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WMIEXE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\LEXBCES.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\KODAK\KODAK EASYSHARE SOFTWARE\BIN\EASYSHARE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\RPCSS.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\LEXPPS.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\DDHELP.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\STIMON.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\RNAAPP.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\TAPISRV.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\INTERNET EXPLORER\IEXPLORE.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\HIJACKTHIS\HIJACKTHIS.EXE

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://desktop.presario.net/scripts/redirectors/presario/deskredir.dll?c=3c00&s=consumer&LC=0409
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = res://C:\WINDOWS\msn.com
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemTray] SysTray.Exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Vshwin32EXE] C:\PROGRAM FILES\NETWORK ASSOCIATES\MCAFEE VIRUSSCAN\VSHWIN32.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VsStatEXE] C:\Program Files\Network Associates\McAfee VirusScan\VSSTAT.EXE /SHOWWARNING
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VsecomrEXE] C:\Program Files\Network Associates\McAfee VirusScan\VSEcomR.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CPQInet] c:\compaq\CPQInet\CpqInet.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LexStart] Lexstart.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AvconsoleEXE] C:\Program Files\Network Associates\McAfee VirusScan\avconsol.exe /minimize
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Dcfssvc] C:\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\dcfssvc.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [Vshwin32EXE] C:\PROGRAM FILES\NETWORK ASSOCIATES\MCAFEE VIRUSSCAN\VSHWIN32.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [*StateMgr] C:\WINDOWS\System\Restore\StateMgr.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [StillImageMonitor] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\STIMON.EXE
O4 - Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA9.EXE
O4 - Startup: Kodak EasyShare software.lnk = C:\Program Files\KODAK\Kodak EasyShare software\bin\EasyShare.exe

let me know what's up.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts