1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Random Power Offs and Game Issues

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Quesoman2002, Apr 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Quesoman2002

    Quesoman2002 Thread Starter

    Joined:
    Apr 28, 2004
    Messages:
    2
    Okay, I've been messing with my problem for quite some time now, and i will be very gracious to the person who tells me how to fix it. First of all, here's the specs on my PC ( i built it myself) :

    ECS 648FX-A Mobo 800mhz FSB
    2.6 Pentium 4 Processor
    1 Gig DDR3200 400mhz Ram
    ATI Radeon AIW 9800

    Okay, about 3 months ago I put together my machine, except at the time, the video card was a Radeon 9000, and it was creating issues with locks ups and fuzzy screens and it was driving me crazy. I recently got the AIW 9800 and ever since i put it in i've had a whole slew of different issues. First of all, i cant play games....I mean ANY games without it screwing up. About 90% of the time the computer just reboots itself and the other 10% of the time it locks up. I have communicated with both ECS and ATI and so far they've been no help. I have also tried all of the drivers imaginable, from bios upgrades, to Catalyst version 4.4 and still no luck. ECS told me that it could be a power issue...their required amperages are 3.3V = 28A, 5V=30A, and 12V = 15A and my power supply amperages are 3.3V = 26A, 5V=32A, and 12V = 13A. Now, im no power genius, but it seems sort of odd that lacking 2A in the 3.3V section would cause this many issues. I was of course skeptical, and I'm waiting to buy a new power supply in case of alternate solutions. It's even set at 4x and still has issues, and im getting ready to just throw my computer out the window and call it quits. While that might be interesting to watch, I'd rather get it working so i may continue my gaming in peace....if anyone has the answer please help....you could be saving the life of an innocent machine.
     
  2. rockinmale

    rockinmale

    Joined:
    Feb 7, 2003
    Messages:
    728
    Hi Quesoman2002!

    I'll do my best to try and help you out.
    First off how many watts is that power supply rated @ and of course the maker of the power supply. The reason im asking is alot of cheezy cheap power supplies cannot sustain their rated output. Which could be causing your system to wig out or it could be plain and simple. The power supply cannot supply enough power to all devices installed.

    This should help you out.....its a power supply wattage calucator. Since, your information listed is lacking take the test and see if your psu can handle your current power needs.

    Here's the link....
    http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/

    I hope this helps! Let us know if this helps.....
    Good luck
    TC
    rockin'male
     
  3. Quesoman2002

    Quesoman2002 Thread Starter

    Joined:
    Apr 28, 2004
    Messages:
    2
    Okay, I tried the calculator and it came out to 320 watts, and my power supply is 420....It's a Raid Max, and it came with my case so I wouldn't be suprised if it's faulty. But even if the wattage is enough, that doesn't necessarily mean that there is enough amperage to distribute it right?
     
As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Loading...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/224524

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice