random reboot after instalation of new graphics card

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Idroxyd

Operating System
Windows 10

Computer Specs
PSU: Raider RA 750

CPU: Intel i5-4570 (3.20 GHz)

GPU: EVGA Geforce GTX 1080

RAM: 8Gb of ram DDR3 (2 x 4Gb)

Description of problem:
I have had a previous problem: reboot loop after BIOS (but before windows start). See full thread here:
https://forums.techguy.org/threads/boot-loop-after-motherboard-screen.1205165/#post-9472990
As proposed, I removed the graphics card which solved the problem: no more reboot.

So I went a bought myself a new card: EVGA Geforce GTX 1080.

I plugged it in. Full boot up was achieved.
After 2 minutes in windows, the computer rebooted. No BSOD, no error messages.
This reboot appeared ever since the card was plugged in and doens't seem to be linked to a specific action (reboot while idle, while updating drivers, while watching youtube video,...) and not happen at the same time (right at windows start up, after 2 minutes, after 5 minutes,...).

I have tried deleting all previous graphics driver but it does not solve the issue.

Is the graphics card faulty? Is there a problem with the mother board?
Could you help me?

Thank you very much

2 things jump out at me very quickly here as I see no mention of; 1- did you install the GPU driver from the DVD or online? 2- did you connect the extra 8 pin power cable?

It could be you with your PSU....never heard of that brand and the reviews I've read on it are like 50/50, either really good or really bad.

Idroxyd

I couldn't instal the GPU drivers as the computer kept rebooting before the instal could be completed
I have connected both 8-pin power cables.
The PSU was working for the last 3 years so it can't be that bad. How can I check if it is busted?

The PSU was working for the last 3 years so it can't be that bad.
That doesn't mean anything....yes they can go bad. These off brands use sub par hardware and quality components. It could be a bad voltage regulator not allowing of volts for a particular rail. It's just hard to say.

How can I check if it is busted?
You get a PSU tester for a simple diagnostics or a multi-meter for the really advanced user.

If your system works fine with out the GTX 1080 and fails/reboots cycle with it installed. For me that's a clear indicator of some form of power issue.

Idroxyd

I have checked the PSU. Voltage seems to be good on all ATX connectors for the graphics card

Next question: Your CPU has the Intel HD integrated graphics on it. Did you disable that in your BIOS and set you PCIe slot to enable or auto?

Idroxyd

for testing the PCU: Iused a multi meter (I don't have a PSU tester). I checked voltage acrosse yellow and black cables. I got 12V on every one. I did not check the main board voltage.
The Card is plugged on the first PCIe

I have removed all GPU drivers using Wagnard tool
I also did a clean instal of windows 10

I did not disable the integrated graphics card, but I have plugged the screen into the graphics card directly. I will try disabeling the integrated card to see if it changes anything

I did not disable the integrated graphics card,
That's a must....other wise it defaults to your integrated GPU. Then you have enable the PCIe slot so the GPU is recognized and that is all done in the BIOS.

I have removed all GPU drivers using Wagnard tool
That's excellent....great tool.

Your RAM: What is the exact make/model? Do you have the XMP setting set. I only ask because of your RAM is rated for 1866mhz and it's not set in the BIOS as such, your RAM is running at the default settings of 1333mhz.

Idroxyd

RAM is: Kingston HyperX Genesis 8 Go (2x 4Go) DDR3 1600 MHz
Thanks for the tip, I will check in the BIOS to update frequency

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online