1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Random Reboot

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dave-o, Jan 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dave-o

dave-o Thread Starter

system:

Windows XP home edition
    CPU: AMD Athlon XP-A 2500+
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-7vm400m
    RAM: 768 MB
    BIOS: Award Modular
    Video: nVidia GeForce FX 5900
    PSU: 300w

I am having severely annoying problems with random reboots. i have looked and looked and looked through countless forums and found no solution to my problems.

what happens:
    ( this has happened since i got the computer, about a year ago)

ill be playing a video game on my computer, then, all of a sudden, BAM! im being rebooted. this happens especially with Warcraft 3 and Half-Life 2 - or anything that runs on the source engine for that matter, but can also happen with Half-Life 1.Occaissionally it also tends to reboot when im on the desktop running just a few programs such as wordpad and winamp.

originally a friend of mine thought that i mightve not had enough memory, as i only originally had 256 MB. after getting another 512 MB though, the problem was still left unsolved. ( games ran faster, but seemed to reboot faster as well.)

i turned off the auto restart option for windows and started writing down the error codes, and tried to read up on them, but i have no understanding of what any of them meant.

the one that seems to happen the most often is this one:
    STOP: 0x0000007E (0xc0000005, 0x804ccbc8, 0xF331AAD8, 0xF331A7D4)

but i also get:
    STOP: 0x000000A (0xc000ecec, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0x804e9781)

STOP: 0x0000050 (0xF7B35820, 0x000000001, 0xF7AAF3F3, 0x00000000)

STOP: 0x00000019 (0x00000020, 0x82BDB730, 0x82BDB758, 0x0A050001)

i downloaded somethign called Everest home edition, which lets me see the tempuratures of my CPU, motherboard, and some other good stuff. none of the temperatures ever break 55c even when running in the games.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

-dave

2. Conrad747

Conrad747

your power supply seem to be low in today's standard.

does it reboot right away or you have to wait a little before you can boot again?

3. Conrad747

Conrad747

also, gigabyte should have a hardware monitor for your system temps. if you can download this or check your cd that came with your motherboard and check your cpu temp as i render this more accurate since this is from gigabyte rather than using everest's temps.

4. dave-o

dave-o Thread Starter

the computer doesnt have to wait to reboot. i would've thought it was a psu problem myself, but with power problems, usually the computer wont turn on if it doesnt have enough power, or, if its pushed to the limits while running, itl just turn completely off, and not give a BSOD. i could be wrong though.

5. Iffrat

Iffrat

i had a set up with a power supply that was to small and thats what it did to me... i busted the core v up just a little and it helped ..but it also killed the power supply ...

which was ok because i had a new one on the way ..

stupid rad 9800 pro ... and it needing so much power

6. dave-o

dave-o Thread Starter

and i looked on gigabytes page, i didnt really understand what they were trying to offer on the website. ill look tomorrow for the cd that came with the stuff and give an update.

7. dave-o

dave-o Thread Starter

ive run memtest86 and found one error in the memory, but i dont understand what to do after that.

ive also ran prime95's torture test and it failed three times in under three minutes each time.

sorry if those dont help.

8. rockinmale

rockinmale

If you ran memtest and it found an error while running the test. I hate to say it but you got a bad stick of ram. The best way to find out which stick. Is to insert one stick at a time and run the test. This will tell you which one is the culprit. This should get you running back to 100% once you get that bad stick out of your system.

9. dave-o

dave-o Thread Starter

thanks ill try that.

10. dave-o

dave-o Thread Starter

I tested the 256MB memory stick first. after running through two whole tests (as in tests 1- 9 or whatever number it goes to.) there were no errors shown. but if this was true, then memory could not have been the culprit, as ive had that stick in there since ive had the computer - and ive had the problem since i got the darn thing. so i took out the 256MB mem. and put the 512MB back in. then i decided to test the games to see if id get the same results.

warcraft 3 shut down with an error message (which i wasnt able to catch because apparently i clicked on the 'okay' button). it placed me back on the desktop. ive seen the message before now, but i dont quite remember what it said. something about the memory not being able to be 'read'.

Half-Life 2 did not reboot either. I went to the 'follow freeman' part of the game, which i thought would be suitable to test for as theres so much action going on. the game ran a bit slower, but without any faults for 20 mins, and then the program shut off, and did the same thing that the warcraft game did, cept this time, there was no error message at all.

now im even more confused than i was before.

11. rockinmale

rockinmale

hmmmm......

You didnt mention anywhere in your post if the 512 stick passed the memory test.

Considering that you said it failed the torture test three times. This would be a good way to test your ram. I would recommend running the prime 95 test with one stick of ram. Insert only the 256 stick and run the test and see if it fails or passes. Then try only the 512 stick and see if it passes or fails.

Post back and let us know what happens....

12. grundelman

grundelman

Check your video card!! update direct x drivers..... if you have an integrated video then replace with an AGP card... Just a thought!

13. dave-o

dave-o Thread Starter

i didnt have the time to run the memtest on the 512 stick untill today. i left it on from about 10 am to 3:30 pm. four memory errors on the same spots that i was getting it before. if it helps, the errors occured on the 8th part of the test.

im going to prime95 test the 512 stick first, and then ill re-memtest and prime95 the 256 stick. but remember, ive been having these problems since before i got the newer 512 stick.

ive already updated the direct-x drivers, and i dont think that i have integrated video.

14. dave-o

dave-o Thread Starter

i also went to a pcu wattage calculator, to figure out if it could be a that. with my settings, it recommended a minimun of 253 - 260 watts. and mines 300w. so i guess not that.

15. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Try different slots for the memory and test them. If the keep failing then either they are bad, your motherboard is bad, or the settings need adjusting in the BIOS for the RAM. Check the manual for memory settings. Oh, it could be the memory is not compatible with the motherboard.

And even though the powersupply is 300 watt doesn't mean its not at fault. It could easily be faulty or not supplyinjg enough juice for the computer - if its a low quality unit its output will be much less then ideal.

Also check the video card. I think the 5900 might require an auxilary power connector, if its does is it plugged in? The card will work but not properly in most cases.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/323840

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice