1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Random rebooting after shutdown?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Time Traveler, Sep 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Time Traveler

Time Traveler Thread Starter

I've had this issue for quite a while and looked into it once, I think I saw a site mention it having to do with BIOS but I never bothered posting. Basically, sometimes after I shut down my PC it'll randomly reboot within 10 minutes. Sometimes it only takes 1 minute, sometimes it never happens. At night I just switch off my power strip to stop it from coming back on.

I'm running Windows XP Home Edition with SP3.

Thanks in advance :)

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Is the computer on any kind of a wired network? Some motherboards allow a powered down computer to wake up when network activity is detected. These boards usually have a BIOS setting called "Wake on LAN" that can be disabled if you don't want that to happen.

3. Time Traveler

Nope, just connected directly through a single modem which isn't hooked up to anything else.

4. xemplary

xemplary

How is the modem connected to your computer?

If it is via your network (LAN) adapter it still worth checking what cwwozniak suggested. Especially if your modem is switched on 24/7.

5. Time Traveler

From what I can tell its just connected directly via an ethernet cable.

6. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    As xemplary suggested, is the modem turned on when your computer powers up on its own? Someone sniffing around the Internet could be attempting to connect to your modem's public IP address and triggering the Wake on LAN.

7. Time Traveler

Not positive if it always is but I can be sure that most of time (most likely all times) that the modem is on when the PC is off.

Seems to happen any time of day and only within 10 minutes of shutting down the PC. If 10 minutes or so passes it never turns back on.

edit: Is there a certain way that I can check to see if this is the case?

8. Time Traveler

9. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    A quick check might be to disconnect the Ethernet cable from your computer just before shutting down. Do this a few times and if the computer never powers up on its own, then Wake-On-LAN may the the prime culprit.

If the Ethernet hardware is built into the motherboard, go into the BIOS settings when the computer is first turned on and see if there is a Wake-On-LAN function.

10. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

There was another thread earlier this month, same symptoms. Unplug the LAN cable, or power off the modem and it will stop. Another poster had same issue, was told it was malware, and did a format and re-install to fix it.
    The thread was closed before the issue was resolved, so don't know if disabling the Wake On LAN setting in the BIOS would stop it. If it's malware, it may be able to turn that back on. And even if it can't, the malware would still be present.

It could also be setting the Power On timer in the BIOS that some systems have, to automatically turn on at a specified time.

You may want to post a Hijack This log.
    Go to Download HiJack This

• Click the Download HijackThis Installer link.
    • Save HJTInstall.exe to your desktop.
    • Double click on the HJTInstall.exe icon on your desktop.
    • By default it will install to C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis
    • Click Install
    • Click the I Accept button on the License Agreement Window
    • The Main Menu window will open
    • Click on the Do a system scan and save a log file button.
    • It will scan, save the log in C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis, and then the log will open in Notepad.
    • In Notepad, click on Edit > Select All then click on Edit > Copy to copy the entire log.
    • Paste the entire log into your next reply.
    • DO NOT have HijackThis fix anything yet. Most of what it finds is required or harmless.

Give as much information about the problem as you can.

• OS version and Service Pack installed
    • Exact text of any error messages
    • Any new Software or Hardware installed

From the Rules

Log Analysis/Malware Removal - In order to ensure that advice given to users is consistent and of the highest quality, those who wish to assist with security related matters must first graduate from one of the malware boot camp training universities or be approved by the administration as already being qualified. Those authorized to help with malware issues have a gold shield [​IMG] next to their name and authorized malware removal trainees have a blue shield [​IMG] next to their names. Anyone wishing to participate in a training program should contact a Moderator for more information.

* Be patient. The malware experts are very busy and will get to you. Older posts with zero replies will likely get responded to sooner, so don't bump your post or add information for at least 24 hours. You can edit your post during the first 24 hours if you need to add anything you forgot. To edit your post, click the EDIT button by the post you want to edit.

HTH

Jerry

11. Time Traveler

I havn't been able to check quite yet but should have results back ASAP.

Would you want me to just post it here or create a new thread in the Security Forum? Not sure what to say in it if I did since i'm fairly sure i'm clean. Avast! Boot-Time scans, Spybot S&D scans, Ad-Aware, etc. have found nothing for months.

12. Time Traveler

So I went into the BIOS settings and the only thing related to WOL I found was "Wake on S4" or something like that, not sure if that was the right thing but it was disabled.

Afterwards I tried shutting down the PC and walking away for ~10 minutes and it seemed to stay off. Tried a 2nd time and it still stayed off. I'm not sure if the problem has just randomly solved itself, I can't say i've really checked if it was still happening lately (i've just been shutting off the power completely) but I figured it still was. I'll check again tonight (and other times) and if it starts happening again i'll bring this thread back up.

Thanks for the help.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/753320

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice