1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Random rebooting!?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by angloman, Feb 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. angloman

angloman Thread Starter

Hi,

I just built a new PC for myself.
    Asus A7N8X-E Mobo
    Athlon XP 3200+ CPU
    1 gig Kingston DDR 400 ram
    Antec Case + Power Supply (380 watts)
    30 gig Western Digital IDE HD (boot)
    80 gig Western Digital SATA HD

I recently installed windows XP w/ SP2 on it, everything went fine.
    After installing, I made sure all the drivers installed were up to date. All the system drivers are installed properly and working fine. For some reason, after I finished playing counter strike, when I quit the game the computer reboot.

Since then, every now and then... when I'm doing simple things, like browsing the internet. Today I was watching a video in Winamp and looking at some pages on Ebay and it just randomly reboot for the first time in almost a week.

This isn't a heat problem. My CPU fan is really good and my temperature stays normally at 40 degrees. Today it's at 46 degrees because the heat is on and it's close to the heater. It's not overheating, it's not the heat settings so lets not waste time on that. I updated the graphics drivers to the most recent from Asus.

It's really driving me crazy. It doesn't leave any logs in the system events, so there's no indication as to why it reboots. I really need some help! Thanks alot!

2. Paladin-X

Paladin-X

What kind of video card do you have?

Right click My Computer => Properties => Advanced Tab => Startup & Recovery Settings => Uncheck Automatically Restart

This should at least give you an error screen.

3. angloman

angloman Thread Starter

Thanks will give it a try.

It's an ASUS V8170 DDR w/ asus driver V56.72

Has 64 megs of ram.

4. angloman

angloman Thread Starter

Update on my problem:

I did what you said and my computer rebooted by itself while it was in the screen saver, so that's twice today. Anyways I saw the BSOD and here's the info

Error with Win32k.sys
    here's the error log

Event Type: Information
    Event Source: Save Dump
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 1001
    Date: 06/02/2005
    Time: 4:24:24 PM
    User: N/A
    Computer: MITCHPC
    Description:
    The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x1000008e (0xc0000005, 0xbf8048ce, 0xf01e2c18, 0x00000000). A dump was saved in: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini020605-02.dmp.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

5. angloman

angloman Thread Starter

anyone?

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/327387

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice