Random Reboots.....AHHHHHHHH

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

sleepy249

I have been having random reboots for the past year and a half on my mother in laws computer. i have replaced everything in the computer except the processor, which is a AMD XP Athlon 1800. I ran memtest and that came up clean. I just put in a new 450 power supply this weekend and i had it running straight for 4 days with no problems. I brought it back to her house and all of a sudden it is rebooting. I don't know if this would cause anything but she has a desk where the computer has a slot on the desk..kind of like a cabinet. The CPU temp was running around 40-43 degrees.
Does anyone have any suggestions? Some one told me that it could the electricity in the house. Anything would be helpful at this point.

you can go here to stop the random reboots ..
right click my computer>properties>advanced on this window select under "start up & recovery" then on this window select under "system failure"un tick the box automatically restart .. then restart windows ..
cheers

sleepy249

if this is the box that stops the bsod from showing i have that unchecked and still no luck. I tried it checked and unchecked and still the same problem.

it could be the memory that is installed

how many slots are filled ??

sleepy249

i replaced the memory. there is 1 stick of 512 DDR 2700 Ram in it. I also ran memtest several times and it came up with no errors

As for the checking the box yes i have done that...but that doesn't stop the random reboots. all that does will stop the BSOD to show.

run a HJT and save a log and post it here .. if you havent dont this before i would say DONT CLICK THE FIX BUTTON without someone who is qualified to say so !
download>install>run it .. then after you run a scan you can save a log file = a text file then copy & paste or post a link to the file .The wait for someone who has the complete KNOW HOW TO READ THESE TEXT FILES and then you will get an answer on what to do !
PLEASE :D
http://www.majorgeeks.com/download3155.html
cheers .

sleepy249

i don't know if i will be able to run that test since i don't ahve the computer in my possession. it is very hard to do it at her house with everyone there. Any other suggestions?

i was told it might me a electricity issue since it ran fine at my house

if you post the log then we will be able to help you, the chances that is it a electric problem i think would be very unlikly

has the main user of this PC been on the internet or installed untrusted software before these problems have started

sleepy249 said:
i don't know if i will be able to run that test since i don't ahve the computer in my possession. it is very hard to do it at her house with everyone there. Any other suggestions?

i was told it might me a electricity issue since it ran fine at my house

Take it back to your house and see if it will run OK, if it does, then there is a power problem at your mother in laws house, one thing you can do to elimate the problem is to buy a battery backup, this should take care of any power surges and brown outs...

sleepy249

yes it runs fine at my house. Like i stated earlier i had it for 4 days over the holiday weekend with absolutly no problems. Did a fresh install of windows also.

sleepy249

BigC said:
if you post the log then we will be able to help you, the chances that is it a electric problem i think would be very unlikly

has the main user of this PC been on the internet or installed untrusted software before these problems have started

No she has not installed anything on the computer. We have had this problem since day 1. I have wiped the drive over the past 1.5 years about 6 times and when i ahve the stuipd thing at my house it runs fine, but once she takes it back it reboots at random times. She could just be reading e-mails and it reboots.

sleepy249

well we bought a voltage regulator and that seemed to help a bit. We still get the reboots but not nearly as often..at least for now. :rolleyes:

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online