1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Random reboots domain-wide

Discussion in 'Networking' started by mcucullu, Jan 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mcucullu

mcucullu Thread Starter

Workstations are randomly crashing. Error logs are inconsistent. Reinstalled and updated video drivers. Have 2 seperate images, one new, but both having same issue. getting NetBT errors, server errors, W32Time errors, DHCP errors, but cannot pinpoint the problem as the reboots are completely random. any help would be appreciated. Running server 2003 on XP 32bit dell machines. Active directory appears normal.

2. oldrookie

oldrookie

Is this a new problem or ongoing problem? Do the system logs show unexpected shutdowns?? Does this happen when users are logged on and using the computer? How many of computers are being affected and about what percent of total computers?? Have you physically checked any of the computers looking inside to make sure CPU heatsink is not clogged and that there are no bulging capacitors on the main board?? It could possibly be a line power problem if there are surges or brownouts. Failing power supplies and other hardware problems may be causing the problem.

3. mcucullu

mcucullu Thread Starter

This is a new problem which started right after a new image was implemented. As far as when it occurs, it's completely random. It can happen right after login, while changing system settings, while using a browser, or any application. I have not seen it crash while idling on desktop however. There isn't really a way to tell how many computers are affected as there are over 200 computers and we can only respond as each issue comes in. I work on a college campus and right now it seems as though only the computers on the student domain are affected (i.e. the new image), that doesn't necessarily mean that the image is the problem because it worked fine during testing. It seems as though all the student computers are affected (around 150). They were working fine before this rollout so I doubt it's a hardware issue (although possibly a driver issue) I seriously doubt 150 workstations are having the same hardware issue at the same time. In short, I'm fairly certain it's a server or group policy issue, since we've tested other images on the domain and had the same problem. Thanks for the input and keep it coming!Cheers!

4. oldrookie

oldrookie

Weird.

If Group Policy or the server somehow initiated the shutdown then i would think it would show as a planned shutdown rather than unexpected shutdown in the system log.

You can also compare Group Policy settings between different computers if you suspect something by running rsop.msc on the computer itself or using Group Policy modeling from a domain controller - preferably the PDC FSMO role holder.

Group Policy should also be applied via the location in Active Directory for the user and computer and not necassarly tied to the image unless local registry settings were modified.

Enabling more verbose logging on some of the student computers may be worthwile and comparing driver files between one of those computers and a computer of the older image.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/974276

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice