1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Random Reboots on Custom Build PC

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jdibella, Jul 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jdibella

jdibella Thread Starter

Good evening everyone and Happy Fourth of July!

I am new to the forum but not new to the world of custom building systems (y)

I have built many systems over the years but this particular issue has me reeling a bit.

Here are the specs:

Core i3 3.2 GHz
    Intel DP55KG MB
    8GB PC3-12800 1600MHz 240-pin DDR3 (4 2GB Kingston Memory Sticks) *Tested and recommended by Intel for this board
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 430 video card
    Antec EarthWatts 650w PS

Here are some of the issues that I'm having:

1. The boot up takes extremely long. I will power on my system and it will be almost 5-10 seconds sometimes before the POST screen even shows up. Once Windows starts loading, it's fairly quick (for a standard, non SSD HD). I've updated my BIOS and disabled unnecessary features in BIOS to try and speed this process up but no luck.

2. Recently, I changed my RAM to Kingston (was using Corsair) but was getting memory errors on my system every so often. I'd be using it as normal where my system would just shut down and start beeping (3 beeps than a pause, 3 beeps then a pause). According to the Intel manual for my board, that's a RAM error. I contacted Intel and of course they suggested I use RAM that has been proven and "tested" by them. I recently purchased Kingston RAM and installed yesterday.

I, more often than not, have been having random restarts on the system. The screen will go blank and the system will reboot without any warning whatsoever. I've checked event logs in BIOS and Windows and nothing stands out. I receive no blue screen errors or anything. I've already begun the process for an RMA on my power supply but I'm curious what other thoughts you all may have.

I am at a total loss on these two issues. I take a lot of pride in my systems but these two issues are bugging the crap out of me. I figure if anyone can get to the bottom of this, DSLR can!

Thanks in advance guys and gals!

[​IMG]

2. AdamEf

AdamEf

Does your computer randomly crash and restart or does it go through the normal reboot process?

3. jdibella

jdibella Thread Starter

I don't get any blue screen errors or any errors in event log. The system just crashes and reboots and I get prompted that windows wasn't shut down properly.

4. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    Have you checked your voltages in the BIOS? Some of the ones in the HWMonitors screenshot are way out (atx +5v showing 12.3v / +12v showing 8.8v), software can give incorrect reading so the BIOS should be more accurate. If the voltages shown are correct then I would be looking at a faulty PSU, and with reading that far out I probably wouldn't risk using it.

5. jiml8

jiml8 Guest

The numbers listed for voltages are definitely funky, which means the suggestion I am making needs to be taken with a big dose of salt.

But the CPU core voltage is listed as being nearly to the bottom of the allowed spec, if you believe anything that is in that listing. Turning up the core voltage just a bit could very well solve the problem.

6. jdibella

jdibella Thread Starter

Thank you for the replies so far. I did some further testing and here are screen shots of the BIOS readings and a power supply tester that I have as well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. wolfworx

wolfworx

Seems like a psu problem. Have you tried replacing it?

8. jdibella

jdibella Thread Starter

I agree, I think it's a PSU problem as well.

I have an RMA going with Antec but of course, they're taking their sweet time. I did an advanced RMA so I ordered what I needed and when I receive I have to send back the defective unit. It's been about 4 business days and they still haven't shipped it out (or at least I wasn't notified of it). I'm tempted to just order one from NewEgg or Amazon and then when I receive replacement from Antec just selling it on eBay as a new unit (since it'll be unopened).

9. jdibella

jdibella Thread Starter

I have ordered another PSU since I have no faith in Antec getting this replacement to me in a reasonable amount of time. I'm still open to hearing everyone's thoughts. Thanks to all who have taken the time to respond!

10. win2kpro

win2kpro

What is the make and model of the power supply you ordered?

11. jdibella

jdibella Thread Starter

Cooler Master Silent Pro M600

12. jdibella

jdibella Thread Starter

As an update, I've replaced the RAM and the Power Supply. The reboot issue definitely seems to be power supply related. Since the replacement, I have not had a single reboot.

I also haven't had any RAM error beeps either so (fingers crossed) I think I've resolved this issue.

13. jdibella

jdibella Thread Starter

I spoke to soon. I thought I had this problem resolved with replacing the PSU but I was wrong.

After about a month of no issues, my computer randomly rebooted today again. I'm ready to just part this thing out and buy a business brand desktop from a major manufacturer. I'm really getting frustrated.

No events in the log on BIOS and the only event in the Windows System log is one that says "Kernel-Power" error which states: The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

I felt like a heard a static sound coming from the speakers but that could have been due to the reboot.

The only thing left to replace is the motherboard. I've spent so much money on this system and I will never EVER by an Intel motherboard again. I'm so fed up with this whole thing.

14. wolfworx

wolfworx

You might check to see if the processor fan is running or is intermittent. I have had fans fail in the past causing the processor will overheat.

15. jiml8

jiml8 Guest

*shrug* You could be experiencing power line events. These can come and go quickly, and cause a computer to crash or reboot. I certainly wouldn't take one reboot in a month as an indicator of any significant problem with the computer.

What type of power line filtering/isolation are you using? Where are you located? Is your power distribution system substantially decrepit - which you would know if you frequently lose power in storms, for instance? How about your house grounding system? Can you perhaps correlate your reboot with - maybe - the air conditioner kicking on, or the refrigerator, or anything else with a large motor in it?

Beyond that, you might try turning up the processor core voltage and the RAM voltage just a small amount.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1005587

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice