1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Random Reboots

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by apollovega, Apr 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. apollovega

apollovega Thread Starter

Hello, I seem to have a wee bit of a problem with my computer (obviously). It loves to reboot/freeze & hang while I play games. Out of all the forums I've seen this problem in, none of them actually had a solution to this problem..

Here's my specs :
    Athlon XP 2600
    60 & 80 GB HD
    Radeon 9200 128 DDR-ram (catalyst 4.4)
    Sound Blaster LIVE! 5.1
    Windows XP Pro
    1 gig DDR ram

Now I've updated everything on my puter, but the problem still arises.
    I've turned off the Automatic Restart, useless services; I've Defragged, Reformatted, Reinstalled Drivers; Put the AGP to 4x instead of 8x; Made sure my system was cooled enough (old fashioned fan blowing into the puter area) and finally I've made sure there was no spyware/virus'/trojans.

Any insight? Thanks.

2. rude

rude

Just a thought,but have you thought about disabling startup items that you don't need to start on bootup.Having too much stuff in there can slow your system down dramatically.The only things I allow to start on bootup on my machine are my anti virus and firewall.

Also go here:http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm
    and check out the service configurations,there are a lot of services that you can disable to help your system run better and faster

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Some things you can try.

You posted that your temps are ok; what are they? Go into the bios are read your processor temp and post it.

Have you gone to event viewer and checked to see what [if any] entries are there? The event viewer can give you an idea as to where the problem might be.

Turn off the auto reboot; this will result in a bsod. The bsod will have an error; this may help with the problem.

Download and run a memory tester. A complete test of the memory will take hours, so let it run all night. Download and run the hd mgf’s utility for checking your drive.

Last but certainly not least; what type of power supply and what wattage is it? Open your case and check the mgf of your ps. If it is foxxcon, deer, allied, powmax, do yourself a favor and dump it. Buy a quality ps; low quality units cause just the type of problem you are describing.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Just reread your post about turning off the reboot on error feature. What errors do you have when your computer gives the bsod?

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I see you have a sound blaster card. Did you install all of the software that comes with the card? If so, that can lead to your problem. When I install a sb card, I install just the driver; not all of the stuff that comes with it. Creative's software is somewhat buggy at best.

6. apollovega

apollovega Thread Starter

Rude: Yea, I've disabled most of my startup programs (ones I don't need) and I've disabled a lot of my services already from good ol' Blackviper.

Crjdriver: usually the temps are about 37 and 40. there's about.. 1,505 entries (lol!) since April 4. Most of them are "Information" but some are "Warning" and "Error". Anyways, the last error is strangly enough "An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk0\D during a paging operation." Come to think of it, most of them are these and IDE errors..
    The hard drives aren't damaged or anything ( I did multiple diagnostics to detect the errors and always came up as none ), and I know it's not the IDE cord cuz it's pratically brand new.

Also, checked the memory last night and it also came up as no errors.
    And yes, I do have a sound blaster card :). I also only do the driver and not the software.

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Since you are getting errors on the hd controller, have you installed the chipset / mb drivers? How is the ps; have you checked what brand it is? I have seen ps cause all types of errors.

In addition what brand of motherboard do you have?

8. Tingles

Tingles

I would suspect the power supply.

What is the brand and claimed output at each voltage.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/221155

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice