1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Random/Repeated Lock-Ups on Silent Hill 2 for PC

Discussion in 'Games' started by JamesBone, Jan 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JamesBone

JamesBone Thread Starter

This is the exact thing I sent to tech support. Who else should I send it too? :p
    ---
    I'm experiencing technical problems with Silent Hill 2 for the PC. I've read the readme file included and have downloaded the latest drivers for my graphic card, but still get undesirable results. Even with all effects turn off, random time during the game, it will quit responding, and simply put, lock up. This is was common during the first part of the game and early on in through the hospital. This can easily be overcome by saving often and rebooting my system to play again. But some of the video and cutscenes cause lock ups too. And these are the things I want to see the most. The audio keeps playing, but everything else quits and becomes unresponsive. Where I've been so far is up to the end of the hospital. The cutscene of Angela holding the knife, Maria lying down to rest in the hospital, the two of us trying to open the 'refrigerator', and the scene where Pyramid Head kills Maria are some of the places it seems to do this. Its always the exact same spot, and the only way to get by it, is to skip the scene all together.

I'm running Windows Me, 256mb RAM, 1.4Ghz P4, and have an ATI Radeon 9700 Pro graphic card. So I know my system specs a well above whats needed. What could be the problem?
    ---

I plan to upgrade to XP sometime soon, but right now I just can't do it. I decided to try out a new card from my old Geforce 2 MX 400, and thought a nice new ATI card would work wonders. You think this problem is due to my graphic card? I've never played SH2 with my other one. And BTW, is DX9 out? Would that help? I still have 8.1. My drivers are 2.5, whats the latest? A few of my other games also suffer from strange graphic glitches or lock-ups. The lock ups though in those games come from changing resolution mid-game. I've had UT 2003, and UT both lock up from that. Is that driver related.

Edit: I see that DX9 did come out. I guess I missed it. :p I have downloaded it but I haven't downloaded the 3.0 drivers for my card. Should I go from 2.5 to 3.0? But I don't hold much hope in it fixing my problem. :( I have yet to try SH2 out again.

Edit: I've had lock up again, this time using DX9 with the 2.3/2.5 or whatever drivers they have.

2. Jtoast

Jtoast

lockups can be caused by MANY things.

a few things to check are....

1) heat. boot into your bios next time it locks up and see how hot your running...anthing over low to mid 40's could be a problem.

2) inadaquate/malfunctioning power supply failing under load.

3) bad RAM chips

4) conflicts with other running programs (I would start here).
    a) go to start/run and type MSCONFIG and hit enter. then go to the startup tab. uncheck EVERYTHING except load powerprofile( x 2), systray and scanreg.

reboot and try again. if its fixed, then you can check one box at a time and see whats conflicting and locking you up.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/111595

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice