Random Restart PC Problem

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

mshabsovich

Before you read this I am going to warn you that this is no simple problem. Very involved and complex. I hope you prove me wrong, but here we go.

I started to solve this problem a few years ago. There are a number of scenarios and circumstance under which this occurs. What occurs? The computer restarts.

Scenarios 1: I insert Splinter Cell Chaos Theory or any other modern video game into the DVD ROM drive and begin to install it. During installation it finds errors and asks me to retry or skip the error or cancel installation. If you continue skipping the error the PC will eventually restart as if you were to press the restart button on the tower. If you click retry it doesn’t do anything.

Scenario 2: when I use Nero do burn I cd or dvd, in the middle of the burning process the pc restarts.

Scenario 3: I put in a DVD in to the drive with info on it such as pictures and music files or whatever. If I want those files on my pc a drag the massive folder of files (2gb) on to my desktop. It starts transferring the folder from DVD to HD. In the middle of that the pc restarts. If the file is small (about 50mb or less) then it transfers fine.

I can install and transfer anything of any size from my external HD to my internal HD without any problems.

The only way I can install a video game from a disk is to remove my internal HD and put it into another PC and install it from there. PAIN IN THE REAR!!!!!!

I am 10000000% sure that my soundcard, video card, DVD drive and floppy drive work because I tested each part in a separate PC with these scenarios, and it worked fine. I even bought a new power supply just because. I tried different dvd-rom/cd rom drives

The only conclusion I came up with is that it is the Motherboard. Would a potentially faulty motherboard cause these types of problems? Is there anyway to test the motherboard for problems?

What in the world is there left to do? WHY DOES IT DO THIS??????

mshabsovich

i do have "automatically restart" unchecked. all it does is give me the blue screen of death, which is the same thing as restarting. i have tried different ram.

Then it might be overheating? Maybe you should install more fans or a few system exhaust fans to exhaust hot air if you have a good cooling system. It might just be recycling hot air. maybe try some heatsinks for your ram and motherboard try newegg.com they have a some nice copper heatsinks from thermaltake you can stick on anything to dissipate heat from it.

mshabsovich

its not overheating. i have about 8 fans, and it happens even when the pc was off for the night and i try to do something before it has a chance to heat up.

I'm leaning towards the motherboard myself. However you can not rule out that it is not overheating because you have 8 case fans. The processor itself can overheat in a hurry if there is inadequate contact between the CPU and heatsink.

Also have you checked your ram with memtest86? It's a free memory diagnostic that is WIDELY used and boots off a floppy or CD-R.

mshabsovich said:
i do have "automatically restart" unchecked. all it does is give me the blue screen of death, which is the same thing as restarting. i have tried different ram.
Copy the "bugcheck" data from the Blue Screen. If there is a driver file mentioned, that is especially noteworthy.

mshabsovich

so the most logical solution is to get a new motherboard. right? if so what is the best motherboard that uses the older style pc133 and socket A?

mshabsovich

I ran memtest86. I let it go through 5 passes and it found zero errors. So the only possibility left is the motherboard?

mshabsovich

what motherboard would u recomend me to get? what is the best motherboard i can get that will remain in the specs of my pc so that i dont have to buy anything else. i want to to remain a AMD Duron 1.3 ghz and still use PC133 ram. how do i know that the new board does not have bad caps?

Good Evening mshabsovich, I would tend to consider you may have a double whammy, possibly a poor reading optical device and a hard drive that is being cantankerous.
I have fitted a lot of those 7zx's and found them to be incredibly reliable.
Your description is consistent with a bad reader, have you tried a different 52 speed CDROM?
I would be inclined to run a harddrive scanner like HDDRegenerator overnight see if it picks any bads.
http://www.dposoft.net/
qldit.

mshabsovich

the HD is not the problem becasue i reacently bought a new one. and i have tried a different optical drive.

So if the optical drive could not read a data CD without errors, and the CD was perfect, and there was no other drive attached on that IDE, and the IDE cable were perfect, then the inference is that the motherboard is producing the read errors. Is that correct?
Alternatively if there were two hard drives on a single IDE and odd problems were experienced it should be understood that one unit can cause loading of the data buss such that odd errors appear to happen.
It would be pertinent to run just one proven optical on one proven IDE and on the second IDE, run one hard drive on one proven IDE cable.
This is in consideration of loaded buss systems possibly inducing data errors by problems in devices.
During this kind of testing it would also be pertinent to remove all unneccessary cards or devices so that analysis may be reasonably accurate.
qldit.

mshabsovich

i have tried to remove my hd and optical drive and pitting it into another pc. i ran fine. when i put it back it didnt run fine. this deduces every possibility to the motherboard. my question is what board to get that will not force me to get a new CPU and Ram?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online