1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

random restarting/boot up distorted

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gerbs, Jan 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gerbs

gerbs Thread Starter

hello everyone, i've been having some annoying trouble with my pc, it's restarting for no reason, freezing alot, and half the time it boots, its all distorted.

first, lemme share the specs.. (oh and, i built this pc)

[OS]Microsoft Windows XP Professional
    AMD Athlon Thunderbird 1.4GHz
    ECS K7AMA motherboard
    Micron 512mb PC-2100 DDR ram
    Western Digital 40gb 7200rpm hd
    VisionTek GeForce2 Ultra 64mb DDR (it's got a big nvidia fan on the chip, theres a fan mounted on the side of the case, and a fan on the back of the case)
    Toshiba 16x48x dvd-rom
    CyberDrive 16x12x42x CDRW
    Creative Labs SoundBlaster Live! 5.1
    Realtek 10/100 NIC

okies, anyway.. here are the problems that i've been experiencing:

I. Random Restarting
    This is probably the most freakin annoying thing that happens to me (other than when the neighbors dog humps my leg.. dear god thats a completely differnet story :()
    ANYWAY, What happens is, there's a blue screen for about an eigth of a second, then the pc reboots.. sometimes it happens when i "do something".. for example, starting a program. but it also happens in the middle of things, like during games.

II. Freezing
    This has happened once in the middle of a game, i rebooted and everything was fine. But when i exit my games, especially Half-Life, a white 640x480 area will be on the top left of my screen, the mouse wont move, and i cant do anything, in other words.. frozen.

III. Graphics card produces distorted images when i boot up half the time
    This one will be hard to explain.. When i start up my PC, sometimes on the monitor, I see this really distorted picture of my pc booting, like its working and all, but the graphics card isnt producing the correct images. since all of you guys are probably scratching your heads at this issue, i got some pictures of it happening. check them out here:

• http://andrew.blueion.net/pcpics/1.jpg
    • http://andrew.blueion.net/pcpics/2.jpg
    • http://andrew.blueion.net/pcpics/3.jpg
    • http://andrew.blueion.net/pcpics/4.jpg

See what I mean? I just don't get it.. :confused:

IV. Unable to update bios
    This isnt really an "issue" but what the heck... When I try to update my ECS K7AMA to the latest version, I get this error in the "Dos/4G Protected Run-Time" thing that says "Error 2 - File does not exist"...
    Heres a picture of it:

• http://andrew.blueion.net/pcpics/biosupdate.jpg

I dont know why it does this, it's kinda aggrivating :(

That pretty much sums it up, everything else is nice and speedy, no other issues with my pc. If you guys can help, i'd really really appreciate it, if not, thanks for taking your time reading this.

- gerbs

2. brianF

brianF

What video drivers are you using, have you tried different version's. Nvidia's good, but not that good :)

also link doesn't work for bios updated, how are you doing it, bios generally need to be flashed from pure dos.

3. gerbs

gerbs Thread Starter

currently im using nvidia's latest drivers; 23.11

ive tryed beta drivers, older drivers, etc. nothing works :(

(but the card's operating system's drivers wouldnt have to do with the boot up distortion problem... maybe the freezing :()

i fixed the bios link.. anyway, yes, im using a boot disk to get to the dos prompt then im doing the process

4. brianF

brianF

Well for one thing I don't see your bios.bin file. did you extract the executable to floppy to create the bin file. Some do that, the bios flash file from some are compressed and you need to extract it and put it on the floppy.

5. gerbs

gerbs Thread Starter

erm.. theres a ROM file that i just unzipped.. (im retarded)

it didnt say on ECS's how-to that i had to unzip it :D

still, i dont know what this is gonna fix.. but uh i doubt anything.

/me trys to update

6. brianF

brianF

don't feel bad, bios flashing is the pits, I get sweaty palms everytime I do it.

7. gerbs

gerbs Thread Starter

8. brianF

brianF

Is that the same pic, I still don't see the 592109.rom file

Did you delete the exe and transfer the rom

What type of boot disk are you using

9. gerbs

gerbs Thread Starter

yea, its the same pic, same exact thing displayed except the .exe is there instead of the .rom

yep, i deleted the exe and replaced it with the rom

Sony 1.44inch floppy (made into a boot disk by right clicking on A:/ -> format -> make boot disk)

10. brianF

brianF

I know nothing about xp boot disks but if it where me I would find a win98 computer and make a startup disk by going to start/settings/control panel/add remove programs/startup disk tab, put a floppy in the drive, and hit create.

Not sure an xp boot disk would have the correct dos to handle the flash, which it looks like it doesn't.

11. gerbs

gerbs Thread Starter

hrm.. okies, will do

how about the other issues? do you know anything that might help resolve em? :(

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/65790

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice