1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Random Restarts After Removing IDE Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by iwishiwascooltoo, Jul 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. iwishiwascooltoo

iwishiwascooltoo Thread Starter

The situation: Yesterday I removed my IDE hard drive from my fully functional computer to put it in an external enclosure, and now every time I turn the computer on it restarts about 15 seconds after loading Windows XP x64. After it restarts the computer works flawlessly, but if I turn it off, wait a few minutes, and turn it on it does the whole "restart after loading Windows and then I'm perfectly fine" bit.

The IDE drive that I removed was completely empty. The drive that is still in my computer is SATAII and holds all of my info on a single partition. Both drives are Seagate Barracudas.

Any ideas?

2. tecknomage

tecknomage

Did you just physically remove the drive?

You should have used Add/Remove Hardware to uninstall/remove the drive from the Registry, then shutdown and physically remove the drive.

Try using Add/Remove Hardware to remove the drive, reboot and let Windows reinitialize (Registry entries) the drive.

3. iwishiwascooltoo

iwishiwascooltoo Thread Starter

I uninstalled the drive in Device Manager before I removed it physically from my computer.

4. tecknomage

tecknomage

Humm....

Your C: MBR holds the partition info for your drives. Sounds like moving your drive to an external interface causes the existing partition info to be wrong.

Suggest you search the Microsoft KB to see if there's a way to change the partition info via WinXP.

I don't know if this will work, but there is a DOS/32bit tool that will display/save your MBR info, which will show you what partitions you have specified. See MBRWizard, note all the features.

I prefer making a DOS boot floppy and using the DOS version of MBRWizard and running it from there for saving my MBR. But you should also load the 32bit version on your C: to get the features not available in the DOS version.

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

I wouldn't do anything with the MBR for fear that it might render the machine unbootable. It is very unlikely to have anything to do with this problem.

6. tecknomage

tecknomage

Note, you don't have to use MBRWizard to modify anything, but it will show you what you do have.

The question for you would be, is there a safe way to reset MBR partition information in WinXP?

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Yes, you can safely reset the MBR information, but since it's obviously finding the boot loader, it would be pointless. However, you mention MBR and partition in the same breath, and that's a whole other kettle of fish! You do NOT want to fool around with the partition table unless you don't care about what's on the disk!

All you ever wanted to know about the MBR and partition table: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_boot_record

8. WizzyUK

WizzyUK

Go to the recoveryconsole and /r. run the FIXBOOT.exe from c:/WINDOWS

9. tecknomage

tecknomage

Thanks for the link. But I note that it does list the "Table of primary partitions" (aka Partition Table) as part of the MBR.

I also know this is the case because, on my home desktop, MBRWizard does list all partitions on HD0 & HDD1. Of course the listings are for the MBR on each drive. When I backup my MBRs, two files are made.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/596913

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice