1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Random Restarts and monitor clicks

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by matong, Sep 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. matong

matong Thread Starter

The computer randomly restarts and the monitor clicks off and on periodically. Could this be insufficient power or some other kind of problem. This is the second motherboard i have used and the second video card purchased.
    Specs:
    Asus A7N8X-X MB
    Athlon XP Barton 3200+
    1GB DDR PC2700 MBRAM
    GeForce 5800
    Please help

2. Miz

Miz

Sure sounds like a power problem to me. It could be either the power supply in the computer itself or it could be the power coming into the computer from the outlet. Since the monitor's turning off, I tend to suspect the power from the outlet.

Do you have a UPS (Uninteruptable Power Supply) unit? If it's "dirty" power (which most is), a good UPS will clean it up (even out the tiny constant surges) before it gets to your computer. Those constant little surges which aren't even noticeable to anything but the electronics in the computer, will eventually cause components to fail.

A surge supressor alone usually can't do the job a UPS can, especially if it's the type (doesn't have a reset button) that blows a fuse when a surge hits. Once the fuse has blown, it's no longer a surge supressor, it's a power strip. ;)

3. CastleHeart

CastleHeart

I will make the assumption that the 'monitor click' is concurrent with the computer shutdown. Your question seems to indicate that the computer doesn't shutdown but restarts. That would indicate a very short power interruption. Enough to restart but not cause a total power off condition.

That being the case, I agree with the Miz - that it seems to be a power connection that feeds them both. To check for the simple poor connections, move the cord to the surge protector around and see if you get a break in power. That would indicate a worn cord that probably has been bent one too many times.
    - Push the ON button and move it a bit to check if it has a poor connection (If it has a momentary switch - you still check this but remember it will turn off when you let go)
    - Wiggle the plug in the receptacle slightly (don't get crazy) and check for the same.

If you get nothing, it would lean toward: A) something internal in the Surge protector or B) worse (but less likely) - the receptacle or it's circuit.

For A) - change out your surge protector. If that cures it then you got it made.

For B) plug into another receptacle temporarily - preferably to one across the room that would be on a different circuit. (don't trip over cords now!) if that cures it then I would first suspect the actual receptacle in the wall. It would pay then to have it looked at for a poor wire connection at the receptacle can eventually set up a mini heater effect and that can burn down houses! (the receptacle should not feel very warm to the touch - especially running low draw devices like a PC)

-

All of the above assumes that both monitor and PC are being affected together. If none of this ends the problem then it is either rooted more deeply in the power at your home
    - or (my guess) -
    the clicking monitor is merely a sound from the interrupted signal output to it from your PC (CRT pop - overload relay trip sound , etc) and the problem is associated with the PC and/or power supply.( I don't like hearing that you have been through a motherboard and a video card. Let's hope that's not related!)

Check that stuff out and check get back with us.

Also....how frequent are you talking about here? once or twice a day - once every 5 minutes?
    And - what size power supply do you have?
    And - is there anything else you know of running off that same house circuit that could affect things? A window air conditioner etc...

- Castleheart :cool:

4. matong

matong Thread Starter

Thank you guys for posting i will get back to you when i try these suggestions. If all else fails i might just buy a new power supply.

nothing else is running off the outlet. Only the CPU, monitor, and speakers. The power supply is about 300-350W not totally sure so i will get back to you on that.

5. Steve-x8086

Steve-x8086

First Name:
    Steve
    The monitor probably clicks because it is Degausing. this is an automatic function when the Monitor is turned on and the CPU does a Hard Restart (not a Ctl-Alt-Del).

Check the front On-Off switch wiring. I have seen this happen when they go bad. By chance does it happen when the CPU is bumped? Is there a cord that may get bumped? Try a new power cord. Make sure that the connection is tight.

Is there a thermal break safety in the Power Supply? I have seen them go bad.

Steve-x8086

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/168305

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice