1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Random restarts, new pc

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Tord, Feb 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tord

Tord Thread Starter

This monday I finished building a computer for the first time. When i turn it on, every fan start spinning on every device, everything seems just fine and dandy, Im not hearing any "beep" when Im turning the pc. I can get in to the bios just fine. keyboard works. But when I start to install windows, it randomly shuts of in the middle of installing, then instantly turns back on and says there was an unexpected restart, and this keeps on happening. When it turns on and of, its just like when I press the reset button. It seems to be totally random when it decides to restart. I managed to get win7 installed at one point before it restarted again. Downloaded all the drivers between restarts. I heard that the hdd made som weird noices, as if the needle on the hdd was just scraping up everything. Decided to try to switch hdd, didnt work. Tried to take out the cdrom, tried to only use one memory stick, in all the diffrent slots, still didnt work. I checked the temprature on the cpu, and it was stable at about 40Celcius. I also tried with a diffrent grraphics card. The only things I can't, and havent been able to try with other parts are the cpu, motherboard and psu. Checked all the cables and they are all correctly connected. Some help would be really appreciated as I can't find any simmilar cases on google.

Also posted this question on Gigabytes supportsite with this additional info:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Model Name : GA-990FXA-UD3(rev. 1.1)
    --------------------------
    M/B Rev : 1.1
    BIOS Ver : F4

Got this answer: Answer :

Hi Tord,

Please ensure there is nothing short circuiting the system underneath the motherboard, such as an extra distance. Please count the screw holes on the motherboard and make sure there is not an extra one underneath that is not visisble from the outside (easiest is to count the ammount of distances from otherside and see that they match with the amount screws inserted).

Best regards
    GIGABYTE-team Scandinavia

Which didn't help me at all :/

As I can't really find anything on the internet I decided to make this post in the hopes of getting this fixed. I was so stoked on finally beeing able to play other games than LoL without lag, but then this happens.

Also: Noticed that on the 24pin powercord to the motherboard, there seems to be one slot that is missing the metal thing that is inside all the other ones. Also: the 2 hdds i tried with were both empty, and I tried to install win8 on both of them so I was wondering if that was the problem, so I decided to erase everything on the disks with a program I've had on a dvd for ages after I wiped my laptop, that does exactly that, this didn't work as the computer started restarting again before it got to 1% of the deleting process.

plz halp

-Tord

Edit: Thought the pc specs I typed in when creating the profile was gonna come up in the post automatically, but apperantly it didn't so here you go:

Hdd: SEAGATE BARRACUDA 7200.12 1TB 7200RPM SATA/600 32MB
    Graphics card: GIGABYTE GEFORCE GTX 670 OC 2GB PCI-E DVI/HDMI/DP
    Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-D3 AM3+ ATX
    Case: FRACTAL DESIGN MIDITOWER DEFINE R4 BLACK
    PSU: CORSAIR CX 600W BRONZE ATX12V 2.3 POWER SUPPLY
    RAM: CORSAIR 16GB DDR3 VENGEANCE PC3-12800 1600MHZ CL10 (2X8GB)
    Processor: AMD FX-8350 BE 8-CORE 4GHZ 16MB SOCKET AM3+ BOX

2. Amd_Man

Amd_Man

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1090546

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice