1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Random restarts - please help

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by ricksmith, Feb 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ricksmith

ricksmith Thread Starter

Hi everyone this is my first post so I'm not really sure where it belongs but it is a very general problem so here seems as good a place as any. First I better start with what system I'm running: -

AMD Athlon 64 3000+
    2.5 Gb RAM
    ATI X1950 (512Mb RAM)
    Asus A8R-MVP motherboard
    Hiper 580W Type-M power supply
    Windows XP Pro SP2

My problem is that my computer (seemingly) randomly restarts itself. I have tried everything I can think of to remedy this since it started to happen a few months ago, starting with changing my power supply. It happens in two different houses in two towns so it is not dirty electricity. I have changed graphics cards and have a new hard drive (although the old one is still in the machine). I have swapped RAM with a friend and the restarts continue on my machine whereas the friend's machine runs perfectly. I have reinstalled windows. I have had a PC Shop run a 'test card' (not exactly sure which... they didn't give me many details) and it found nothing. I can find no pattern in the event logs, which I check after every restart. Also the restarts do not seem to show any sort of software pattern. They occur at all times of the day or night no matter what I am running. It happens with and without background applications such as AVG and Sygate running. It even happens during the night when I am running nothing. I have patched my TCP/IP file so that the number of half-open connections is running at the pre SP2 rate of 65,000. I have run various adware detection software (mostly ad-aware) and registry cleaners (such as Registry Mechanic). I also have no virus that AVG can find. I have updated all the drivers I can find so as far as I know they are all up-to-date. I have disabled the windows automatic restart on system failure both in the control panel and in DOS (stumbled across that setting) and it still powers down and immediately on again. I wonder whether this is actually a 'windows' restarts or just some sort of power failure on the motherboard. I have checked all the power connections and cannot find any to be loose. I also run PC Probe II and I have never noticed my CPU temperature above 45 or my motherboard temperature above 40. (The alarms have never gone off).

All these changes and still no sign of improvement... if anything its getting worse. I only have two ideas left and am not sure how to test them or if it’s possible. Firstly could it be caused by a nasty version of windows? The only reason I have for thinking this is that my old PC started to have random restarts but was due to be formatted and a windows reinstalled. After the reinstall the restarts stopped. Also the only thing left on the hardware side of things is the motherboard. As I'm fairly sure it isn't the drivers, could it be a dry joint somewhere? This, I assume, would be almost impossible to test for and even worse to find.

If anyone has any comments on my two remaining ideas or can suggest any other solution it would be greatly appreciated. Sorry it’s such a long post but there was a lot to cover :)
    Thanks again
    Richard

P.S. I have taken print screens of the event log as soon as Windows restarts over the last few days. So here they are in case anyone thinks they will be useful.
    07-02-01sys.jpg 07-02-01app.jpg 07-02-01ace.jpg 07-01-31sys3.jpg 07-01-31sys2.jpg 07-01-31sys.jpg 07-01-31app3.jpg 07-01-31app2.jpg 07-01-31app.jpg 07-01-31ace3.jpg 07-01-31ace2.jpg 07-01-31ace.jpg 07-01-30sys.jpg 07-01-30app.jpg 07-01-30ace.jpg 07-01-29sys.jpg 07-01-29app.jpg 07-01-29ace.jpg

2. ricksmith

ricksmith Thread Starter

Just a quick update for anyone who might have surfed to this page on google (by the way if anyone finds this page and has had/is having similar problems please post here as I'm very bemused with the situation).

I tried a different version of windows one without service pack 2 and for about 2 days it appeared to be fine. No restarts. In this time I played a few games, surfed the internet as normal... tried to give it a standard run through. As soon as I updated to service pack 2 within 15mins it restarted! Seems very strange that SP2 should be the problem but now I've had two different copies of windows installed and if they are running PS2 the restarts occur. I am now going to get in touch with Asus and see if they can shed any light on the subject as regards the motherboard (and whether any of their software could cause a conflict with SP2). Also I think I will reinstall windows and leave it completely alone (i.e. not install SP2).

If anyone can think of anything at all it'd be most appreciated.

3. ricksmith

ricksmith Thread Starter

Again for anybody who might surf to this page with the same problem, here is the solution Asus gave me:

Please go into bios--->advanced--->jumper free configuration,
    Set that PCI-Express Voltage to 1.30V or 1.40V instead of the default or auto,
    also set that PEG Link MODE to Disabled,
    save and exit to test if system run fine.

My PEG Link MODE was already set to Disabled so it would seem the PCI-Express voltage was the problem. Note that I started having this problem with an ATI x1300 and the problems continued when I upgraded to an x1950. Now that I have set the voltage to 1.40v my system seems to be running fine. I have not had a restart in 5 days.

4. ricksmith

ricksmith Thread Starter

No restarts since the I did this. Solved :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!