1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Random Restarts

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Dox, Jan 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Dox

Dox Thread Starter

My computer is randomly shutting down and restarting. The only thing I have changed recently is adding a 512mb ram stick. Could this be cause by bad ram?

2. bizziebill

bizziebill

Change it back and see what happens.

3. Augie65

Augie65

You can right click My Computer> Properties> Advance tab> under Startup and Recovery click the Settings button. Under System failure section, uncheck Automatically restart then OK. Now you should receive an error message at failure instead of restart.

4. Lotus4669

Lotus4669

Sounds like you are getting a critical error, which might or might not be related to your ram. In order to see this error, right click my computer, click properties. Click the advanced tab, then under Startup and Recovery click the settings button toward the bottom. Uncheck Automatically restart (Under system failure) and also change the small memory dump to complete. I'm guessing you have a gig of ram total in your system now? If thats the case, a full memory dump could be a gig in size. If your system crashes and you get a blue screen (BSOD) write down the error message and post it back here.

If all you did was add some ram, try taking it out and see if the problem is still there. What kind of ram did you add? And what if anything do you have in the other mem slot?

5. Emtronics

Emtronics

RAM is probably bad or not seated properly or not in the #0 or #1 slot. (If it is the only stick) Also, you may have accidently disconnected a cooling fan. Check your cooling fan(s).

6. 8dalejr.fan

8dalejr.fan

It would be wise to uncheck Automatically Restart to grab the contents of the BSOD if you get one. Many times, certain error codes can be associated with bad hardware, for some reason particularly RAM.

Make sure you grab the entire BSOD code and error message if you encounter one.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!