1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Random screen freeze after Windows 7 fresh install.

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by davido-23, Nov 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. davido-23

davido-23 Thread Starter

Hi,

I'm running Windows 7 home premium 64 bit. My my laptop is about 6 months old with 8gb RAM.

I have recently done a fresh install and ever since then I'm getting random screen freezes (it never happened before fresh install)... the mouse, keys, ctrl alt delete etc.wont respond and the only way out is to hold down power and restart.

I thought it could be a RAM problem but I have checked with memtest with no problems found. I have also scanned with malwarbytes antimalware with nothing found.

Can anyone give me any advice.

Many thanks.

2. pip22

pip22

Although it's had only about 6 months use, I would test the hard drive if only to eliminate that as a possible cause; somebody is sure to ask you to do that anyway sooner or later. It's normal procedure to test all the "usual suspects".
    Ascertain the brand of of your drive, then click the appropriate link on this page: http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287

Since your Windows is not running properly, you may have to download the DOS version of the testing software which runs from a bootable CD.

3. davido-23

davido-23 Thread Starter

It's an SSD so I'm not sure how to check for errors. I have run crystal disk mark and everything seems normal.

4. Mark1956

Mark1956

Why did you need to do a fresh install on such a new PC?

Was it Memtest86+ you used and how many passes did you complete?

5. davido-23

davido-23 Thread Starter

I only did one pass with memtest86+, do I need to do more?

6. Mark1956

Mark1956

Please answer my first question in post 4.

You need to run Memtest for at least 8 passes, it will take a long time and is therefore best set up to run overnight.

7. davido-23

davido-23 Thread Starter

Thanks... I will do that. I did a re install for the new SSD.

8. Rockn

Rockn

After the install of Windows did you verify that you had loaded all of the device drivers for your hardware? Look in control panel > system > device manager and see if any devices are listed with yellow exclamation marks.

9. davido-23

davido-23 Thread Starter

I have checked in device manager... there are no yellow exclamation marks.

10. Mark1956

Mark1956

Did you do the fresh install from a Recovery disc supplied by the manufacturer or a full retail disc. I'm just thinking about what drivers may have installed for the SSD or do you have these on a seperate disc.

11. davido-23

davido-23 Thread Starter

I used a full retail version disc and drivers from the acer website.

12. Mark1956

Mark1956

I can't think of anything else that could be wrong. You just need to run the Memtest overnight and then if that passes I can only assume that the SSD is faulty.

13. Rockn

Rockn

It could be any number of issues. Is it possibly overheating?

14. davido-23

davido-23 Thread Starter

I'm not sure... when I ran memtest the processor temps were getting into the 80's according to speedfan I'm not sure if this is normal (it's an i3 U380 1.33ghz) but the screen freeze can happen within seconds of startup or from sleep. What do you think?

15. Rockn

Rockn

80C or F? If it is Celsius your CPU is probably frying.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1026589

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice