1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Random Shut downs

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by gmanadman, May 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gmanadman

gmanadman Thread Starter

My Computer is randomly shuting down. No common cause. seems that I have a lot of programs running in the background using a lot of memory space.

I've been using just the XP firewall and e-trust realtime monitoring.

Actually the only time it seems to be shuting down is when we try to run to many programs or high memory demanding programs.

2. The_Oracle

The_Oracle

check your event log for errors.

to prevent your computer from shutting down when an error occurs, change the following settings:

right click on 'my computer' > settings > advanced, in the startup & recovery section click 'settings'. in the system failure section clear the box that reads 'automatically restart'.

this may cause the dreaded BSOD but you will receive an error code that you can post here.

3. gmanadman

gmanadman Thread Starter

I don't know where to find the event log. I did the other part of what you directed and it still shut down today when my daughter tried to run Sims 2.

Any other suggestions?

4. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Did you do this part of the post

right click on 'my computer' > settings > advanced, in the startup & recovery section click 'settings'. in the system failure section clear the box that reads 'automatically restart'.

If so the computer should give a blue screen of death and an error message on it.

5. gmanadman

gmanadman Thread Starter

It wasn't exactly like that. Right clicked on 'my computer'>properties etc. I did not get the blue screen of death. Nor have I received the honor of it's presence since.

A new twist today however. It shut down with only IE running and then would not restart for several tries. It would get only so far in the process and then shut back down.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!