1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Random shutdown/freezes & Boot problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hypochondriac, Jul 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hypochondriac

hypochondriac Thread Starter

I build this computer myself, it worked fine for about 2-3 years, now giving me all sorts of problems.

1. At times the computer doesn't boot up. The fans go on but thats it the screen reads no RGB signal or something like that. Sometime I have to turn it off and on 2-3 times for it to boot

2. The computer will randomly freeze and restart, I went to the advanced settings and unchecked restart of error but it still restarts and freezes with out giving me a BSOD

3. Once during startup I got the thermal error tone, and later when It did boot up it said shut down due to a thermal event, The temp stays at about 45-50 which I believe in within the proper range. Once about a year and a half back the temp climbed into the mid 50's and never gave me a problem.

I downloaded and ran the Microsoft memory checker, and everything checked out. I thought it might be my PSU because I added a drive and the problems started a few month after that. Just In case I disconnected the extra drive and my combo drive, but still get these problems. I don't have a spare PSU neither do any of my friends, is there any other way to check the PSU?

According to the Intel active monitor the power readings are 11.875, 5.052, 3.283 the base values given are +12, +5, +3.3, IIRC the values have always been like this.

I opened up the casing and looked at the capacitors, but they look normal.

Any ideas what it could be? The errors when it fails to boot worry me the most.

Using Windows XP professional SP2 have 512MB ram 40GB WD hard drive.

Thanks I appreciate any help

2. usualsuspect

usualsuspect

Hi,

How often does this happen? Hopefully it's not too intermittant and we'll be able to conduct tests.

3. hypochondriac

Happens a few times a day, today happened like 10 or more times. I decided to clean the computer so I used compressed air and loads of dust came out of the PSU, so far it's been working well.

4. usualsuspect

usualsuspect

Do you run 2 sticks of RAM? If so, can you, painfully, try to run on 1?

5. usualsuspect

usualsuspect

Just as a test

6. hypochondriac

Yes I use two sticks of ram, been using it along time before the problem occured, next time the computer freezes or randomly shuts down I will remove one stick.

Should the memory checker program have detected and problems with the ram?

7. usualsuspect

usualsuspect

I'm not 100% convinced that those checkers can cover all bases, hence I stick to old school methods.

They're probably fine but we have to start somewhere don't we...

8. hypochondriac

Thanks for all the help. The problem seemed to have went away so I didn't have to check the ram.

Now the problem is that the computer keeps freezing within 5-10 minutes of booting up. I tried using one stick of ram like suggested but it made no difference . According to the intel active monitor the computer is not over heating the power supply is within the normal range listed. I can't figure out what the problem is :(

9. pcrepairguy

pcrepairguy

Find out what kind of hard drive you have, go to the manufaturer's site and get the software that will check it for you.

If the har drive checks out ok remove the side cover and give the interior a good dusting, especially the CPU heat sink and all fans. While you are there check to make sure all fans are working

IF it still freezes remove all PCI cards, one stick of ram, all drives except the C: of course and see if it still freezes. If it doesn't freeze add one device at a time and see what happens.

10. hypochondriac

Thanks, I getting pissed the freezes seem to be random, right after your post it worked fine without me having to do anything until today when it started freezing.

Also at times it doesn't boot on the first attempt i will have to turn it on and off 3-4 times before it boots. I read a bit online it said it could be the capacitors, but the capacitors look fine, none of them seemed deformed. Is there a way to check to see if it is the capacitors?

11. hypochondriac

Well it's not the PSU, I just installed a new one and i still get a POST failure and windows freezes

12. pcrepairguy

pcrepairguy

Try what I posted in #9 then let us know what happened.

13. hypochondriac

pcrepairguy:

I tried that the hard drives passed the test, and it doesn't matter if I removed everything expect one ram and the drive it would still either freeze (although it takes longer to freeze, but that might just be the random nature of the problem) or not boot up on the first attempt.

Board is an 865 GBF which is know to have cap problems but they look normal to me, what would be a good replacement board so I can keep the ram and Graphics card?

14. pcrepairguy

pcrepairguy

Well if you want to try another motherboard and I would too at this point I would suggest an ASUS. Any model that would accept your P4 chip and DDR ram however it may be difficult to get a new one that will meet those needs as P4's are getting on in age. You may also try to avoid the P4800 series as I have seen a lot of issues with that one. Good luck and let us know what happens.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/594876

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice