1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Random shutdown with blue screen

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by ourmand, Jun 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ourmand

ourmand Thread Starter

Hi,
    I've recently bought a new computer and it keeps shutting down and giving a blue screen error. Windows reports and solutions say it is a hardware error. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am running windows vista 32-bit, processor is an Intel Core Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, RAM 2815MB
    Error details are as follows: BCCODE 1000008E
    BCP1 C000001D
    BCP2 936E1CA8
    BCP3 9A153B60
    BCP4 00000000
    OS 6_0_6000
    Service Pack 0_0
    Product 768_1
    I've already had a new harddrive fitted as thats what the company said it was, now they are saying it's software and the warranty doesn't cover me for that, but i'm not convinced because before the hard drive was fitted i was advised to do a clean install and as soon as that was done i had a blue screen as i booted up for the first time and the computer just couldn't boot. It tried about five times before it was successful and there was no software on it then, only what came pre-installed. Thanks again in advance.
    Mandie

2. Rich-M

Rich-M

It could be a virus or spyware so I would run an online virus and spyware scanners first:
    www.bitdefender.com and www.ewido.net
    Then let us know how you did as the next step would be a memory test.

3. ourmand

ourmand Thread Starter

Hi, I have done scans with avg free and superantispyware all come up clean and memory tests have been done and they come up fine also. This has been happening virtually since i've had the computer, and also after i've done fresh installations without being connected to the internet. Could it be a driver?

4. Rich-M

Rich-M

www.memtest86.com then is for you. When you run memtest remember you need to do 4 full tests and each have 8 passes so this will take 3-4 hours. Any errors at all and you have your answer.

5. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

I can run a debugging utility on the dump files if you do this:

1 > create a new folder on the desktop and call it "dumpcheck" or whatever you like
    2 > navigate to c:\windows\minidump and copy the last few minidump files to that folder. *this assumes 'c' is your boot drive, if it is not, subsitute accordingly
    3 > close the folder and right click on it and select Send to Compressed (zipped) Folder.
    4 > use the "manage attachments" in the "advanced" reply window to upload that zip file here as an attachment.

This might point us to a non Windows driver causing the error, if one exists for it.

>> Also, you can go to the Control Panel > Performance Information and Tools > Advanced and look at the "Reliability Index"

When did the first blue screen occur after the clean install? What preceeded it if anything?

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/726033

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice