Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Random shutdowns/crashes

1K views 7 replies 2 participants last post by  Couriant 
#1 ·
For the past month, my laptop has been shutting down/crashing randomly. It would just go black while I'm working, and when I start it up it would be a fresh start and not a resume (like sleep or hibernate).
I thought it might be an overheating fan but that seems unlikely since I have a cooling pad, and the laptop doesn't feel too hot. But nonetheless, I tried my best to clean the fans. Didn't work.
Maybe it's the battery because I noticed the shutdowns would happen whenever it was unplugged/on battery. I tried troubleshooting, did sfcscan and DISM, didn't seem to help. But it seems strange because these shutdowns started happening frequently very suddenly just as this February started. I'd assume problems would start out slow and gradually get worse. (The way I charge my laptop I simply charge it all the way to 100%, unplug, and then plug when it's low)
Another culprit seems to be Windows 10 update. Recently, I rolled back an update in an attempt to fix it, and things seem to be fine for a week before another update was automatically installed just today. Shortly after I unplugged my laptop after charging, it shutdown like usual. So now I've rolled back those updates to see if that fixes it. Maybe it was just a coincidence but it would be great if anyone would provide some advice. Thanks.

Also attached energy report.pdf just in case it's useful.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Build 18362, Installed 20191001002746.000000+480
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7500U CPU @ 2.70GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 142 Stepping 9, CPU Count: 4
Total Physical RAM: 8 GB
Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics 620, 1024 MB
Hard Drives: C: 930 GB (755 GB Free);
Motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. X541UAK, ver 1.0, s/n QCCXKF30B73700301
System: American Megatrends Inc., ver _ASUS_ - 1072009, s/n H9N0CX15E746378
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
The report I believe shows the charge to be OK, however that doesn't mean the battery is functional.

To confirm, you have an Asus notebook, model X541UA-WB71T-RD, purchased around 2 years ago?

Does this issue happen when you are connected to the AC Adapter? Or just when you are running on battery?

I have an user with the same issue as you, although it's a Dell machine. I will be going through the error logs again because it's a continual issue (I had removed programs that had errors prior to the computer shutting down.

Try running the command sfc /scannow in command prompt: administrator mode (start typing command prompt in Search and then right click on Command Prompt to select run in admin mode) to check the integrity of Windows.

#3 ·
So far, I've noticed it only happens when it's running on battery.
I just did another system restore 2 days ago to get rid of an update but it seems like updates aren't the problem because it shut down just now. So I guess battery is the issue.

I've done sfc /scannow a few times but each time it says there are no integrity violations.

#5 ·
Looking at event viewer, I didn't notice anything unusual other than the Kernel-Power 41 (63) error. But it does show a lot of errors. Not sure if they're important or not.

Here are some of the errors that show up:

svchost (7240,R,98) TILEREPOSITORYS-1-5-18: Error -1023 (0xfffffc01) occurred while opening logfile C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Local\TileDataLayer\Database\EDB.log.

Faulting application name: XD.exe, version: 25.3.12.1, time stamp: 0x5e2041c6
Faulting module name: twinapi.appcore.dll, version: 10.0.18362.592, time stamp: 0x125d2980
Exception code: 0xc000027b
Fault offset: 0x00000000000d5cb8
Faulting process id: 0x2654
Faulting application start time: 0x01d5f211990397ee
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Adobe.CC.XD_25.3.12.1_x64__adky2gkssdxte\XD.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\System32\twinapi.appcore.dll
Report Id: 5a5350db-8757-4dd4-a2d0-f534902c85ae
Faulting package full name: Adobe.CC.XD_25.3.12.1_x64__adky2gkssdxte
Faulting package-relative application ID: App

The driver \Driver\WudfRd failed to load for the device ACPI\INT3400\2&daba3ff&1.

The speed of processor 3 in group 0 is being limited by system firmware. The processor has been in this reduced performance state for 71 seconds since the last report.

Font Screenshot Number Parallel

#6 ·
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.