1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Random Shutdowns ?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Lt_Mantis, May 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Lt_Mantis

Lt_Mantis Thread Starter

Hi Guys

I have this issue with my PC where it will just randomly shutdown once or twice a day. Now I have serviced the PC componenets and done all the basics - cleaned the ram etc etc etc.

Now my question is: Is there a way to exactly pin point the fault with in the event viewer?

I do see some error statuses about kernel power and so on. I would appreciate any feedback or assistance.

Here is my PC specs:

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600K CPU @ 3.40GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7
    Processor Count: 8
    RAM: 16351 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770, -1 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 249899 MB, Free - 110507 MB; D: Total - 703866 MB, Free - 109899 MB; E: Total - 953866 MB, Free - 236995 MB; G: Total - 149999 MB, Free - 45355 MB; H: Total - 803866 MB, Free - 136162 MB;
    Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC., P8P67 DELUXE
    Antivirus: Kaspersky Internet Security, Updated and Enabled

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    does it shutdown when idle or only when you are doing things, and what things are you doing - any pattern

have a look in the event viewer - for the date/time it shuts down whats there ?

is the PC getting jot

3. Lt_Mantis

Lt_Mantis Thread Starter

My diagnoses from my PC is:

- Does not Overheat (V6 GT CoolerMaster CPU Cooler)
    - Suffiecient Cooling

Thermal Paste is fine on the CPU and I did not overclock any of my hardware. Bios is up to date.

I only see Error Kernal Power Event ID 41 and WMI error ? I do believe it to be the power supply
    PC instantly restarts randomly through any process - Gaming or just idle

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    so thats after the event on the reboot
    anything showing just before that event time?

5. Frost_WD

Frost_WD Western Digital Representative

Hi Lt_Mantis,

I too would suspect the PSU if there are no errors/BSOD. Just like etaf, I would like to see what is going on in the event viewer so if you could post a screen shot it would be helpful. Just to be on the safe side you could also see if you hit 100% on anything in resource manager.
    As for the PSU, if you have another PC (or if you can borrow one from somebody) test it there – that would tell if you need to go and get a new one.
    Also, could you provide more information about your temperatures, do a memory test and provide the results, and run a brand specific diagnostics test on your hard drive?

P.S. You could try to reset your COMOS battery.

Keep us posted,
    Frost_WD

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Since you have an asus mb, download and install asus probe [it is part of the suite however you only have to install what you want] Here is a link to the support page for that mb;
    http://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/P8P67_DELUXE/overview/

Once you install probe, post the following; cpu temp, system temp, 12V, 5V, and 3.3V values. Do this twice; once at idle or no load and once when stress testing the system. I like to use prime95 for stress testing however you can also use IBT [intel burn test] If you use IBT, monitor your temps carefully since it generates more heat quicker than prime95.

7. Lt_Mantis

Lt_Mantis Thread Starter

Thanks for the info guys. Will give this a go and post the results soon. Much appreciated for the help

8. Lt_Mantis

Lt_Mantis Thread Starter

Hi Guys

Here is the updated info on the problem I had:

I solved the issue with my PC with the Auto Shutdowns

The sollution to this tricky problem is: Tested wall socket for stable power and grounding - Tested 100% Fine, removed the PC from a surge protection adapter into a normal adapter.

Problem lied within the power from the receiving end, surge protector adapter was messing with the power being sent to my PSU, causing random shutdowns. Also Changed my PSU input to my graphics card, I had 2x nvidia 560ti's with no problem, then changed to a nvidia geforce EVGA 770ti superclocked. Now the power connectors which comes from the moduler PSU into the GFX Card was single cable dual connector. I added another PCI-E Power Cable which then provides power now from two different cables (6 Pin Connectors), Solved my problem with the shutdowns 100%. PC Runs smooth and no auto shutdowns.

I did all the basics tests and monitoring to make sure it was not overheating or something else causing the issue. Hope this helps

Sorry the late reply on my thread

9. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    Glad you got it sorted out. If you have happy the problem is fixed you can mark the thread as Solved (y)

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Glad you were able to get it working. Just my opinion however surge protectors are less than worthless [other than providing more outlets]
    If you want to protect your system from pw surges or outages, get a UPS.

11. Lt_Mantis

Lt_Mantis Thread Starter

Still solving the unknown mysteries of IT in the Gaming Section. Tried thinking out of the box and results were postive.
    Hmmmm UPS will be a bit expensive in the long run, finding a UPS worth the bang for your buck is the issue. What UPS would be needed exactly for a
    Huntkey 900watt psu ?

12. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

The pw supply wattage is not really a consideration in choosing a ups; it is the amount of pw the system uses AND the length of time you want the system to remain powered after an outage.
    Here is the unit I currently use;
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16842111034
    I just use it for pw surges, etc and do not have the system auto shutdown.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1147608

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice