1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Random Shutdowns

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by dugansbf, Jul 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dugansbf

dugansbf Thread Starter

I have xp sp2, an hp pavilion 513w. this pc is randomly shutting down when I use it. Usually if you leave it alone, it doesnt shut down, but once I start doing anything...browsing the hard drive or opening IE, it shuts down. It may stay on for 15 minutes and be fine while its being used, but just any time, it shuts down.
    I guess I shouldnt say shut down, though, because the power LED on the case goes orange, so maybe its standby. the fan shuts off, so...i dunno
    the only way I can use it without it shutting down is to go into safe mode.
    any help is appreciated.

2. InfernoReaper

InfernoReaper

From my experience i would say either a virus or some kind of bad chip

3. dugansbf

dugansbf Thread Starter

this machine is pretty updated with antivirus and protection software...but I guess I cant rule it out...and if a chip is bad, how would it not shut down in safe mode? well take that back, it does shut down in safe mode once in a blue moon...so...I'll open it up and check to see if I see some leaking transistors or something. thanks, and more suggestions are appreciated.

4. kevblah

kevblah

my dads new dell does that too...weird...

5. nirus

nirus

Two of the biggest things that you can check for would be heat and memory issues. There are numerous tools out there to check for heat issues, try SiSoft Sandra as a start.

As far as checking for memory issues try 'Memtest86' which you can burn to a disk and use to scan for memory problems.

nirus

6. snooker

snooker

Hi ... Also you might want to clean your fans and see if they are working correctly , Lastly it just could be your power supply too , you wouldn't know until you do some test which was already suggested to you ...

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!