1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Random Static Noise in IE6

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by mnewcomb, Jun 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mnewcomb

mnewcomb Thread Starter

After installing IE6 on NT machines, we've noticed that now any time we're in IE6 we'll randomly get static playing. This has happened on 3 different machines. One machine we were able to fix by repairing IE6, but the other 2 machines are still doing this.

The static doesn't seem to be linked to any action by the user. Just opening up IE6 can cause it to happen. Sometimes, it doesn't happen for awhile, sometimes it's pretty continuous. We haven't found any reason for this but 2 of the 3 machines that have this did have a problem shutting down the first time after IE6 was installed. The user tried to shut down the machine & it just hung & had to be turned off.

We've tried repairing IE6 (only worked on 1 machine) & also uninstalling & then reinstalling - doesn't seem to help at all on these 2 machines.

Any thoughts on what this could be would be greatly appreciated!!

MNewcomb

2. Davey7549

Davey7549

mnewcomb
    Welcome to TSG!
    Seems this is a problem with the start.wav file incorporated in IE6 SP1. The suggested remedy is replacing the Start.wav with an older version. Here is one of many reports of this problem.
    Click Here

Hope that sheds a bit of light on it.
    Let us know.

Dave

3. mnewcomb

mnewcomb Thread Starter

Thanks Dave!! That seems to have fixed the problem!

Very interesting that I had a start.wav on my machine with a date of Dec 1999 while people with the problem had a date of 2002 on their machines. I had upgraded my machine to IE6 SP1 same as they did but for some reason it did not update that file, luckily.

Thanks so much for the help!
    Marcia

4. Davey7549

Davey7549

Marcia
    Glad all is well now. I am not sure why your machine retained the older version of start.wav but it is good it did so you have a good copy of the older version. You may in fact wish to make a copy of the older start.wav and name it something then keep it just in case another update changes it back to the newer version.

Take Care and will consider problem solved.

Dave

5. mnewcomb

mnewcomb Thread Starter

Any idea on what is causing the start.wav file to mess up like this or when it might be fixed? Is MicroSoft aware that this is a problem?

We have 5,000 - 6,000 machines to upgrade to IE6 & we're wondering how many machines might be affected with this problem.

Thanks,
    M Newcomb

6. Davey7549

Davey7549

mnewcomb
    I am not sure MS is aware of this specific problem with WinNT\Start.wav\IE6 all I know is the work around for it. I am not aware of any documentation that states WinNT exhibits this problem when........ and this is how to repair it.

Since you have a great number of computers that require updating it may be worth contacting MS to see if there is a patch for this or they are aware or what causes it..... possible a sound card configuration or driver ect.

Sorry I could not be of more help.

Dave

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!