1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

random System Beep

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Feldon, Sep 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Feldon

Feldon Thread Starter

I am hearing a SINGLE SHORT system beep from the PC speaker at what appears to be random intervals. Why is this happening??

The beeps occur while gaming (i.e. Counter-Strike) although it might just be related to stress on the system.

Comp specs:
    Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, Service Pack 2
    AMD Athlon 64, 1800 MHz (9 x 200) 2800+
    Motherboard Chipset VIA VT8383/5 Apollo K8T800(M), AMD Hammer
    1024 MB (DDR SDRAM)
    BIOS Type AMI (01/28/04)
    ASUS RADEON A9600XT (128 MB)

I purchased the computer recently. I had it up and running at home no problem, although I never played video games at home. After moving in at school, my roommates brought a Satelite receiver, a large screen tv and various other electronic goodies which are in the next room (say 10 feet away through a wall). While we are on a separate breaker, the equipment has caused power dips that have shut off my computer or monitor for a split second on a couple occasions. The beeping began at this time I believe, although I might be remembering wrong. After a couple days, I purchased a Monster Power Cleaner. It's supposed to keep the voltage steady. Its been a couple days again and I have not had power problems but I still get beeps!

My computer seems to be perfoming correctly otherwise. Any ideas?

2. Deathblow

Deathblow

Sometimes if you press too many keys on the keyboard at once, as may happen while playing games, your system will beep.

3. Feldon

Feldon Thread Starter

It may be that simple, but I never did the same thing while playing the same sort of games for hours on end on my old computer, a P3 800 on Windows 98. Is XP just more finicky about it?? hehe

4. Deathblow

Deathblow

Yeah, possibly. Try holding down a few keys at the same time, and see if it beeps.

5. Feldon

Feldon Thread Starter

Hmmmm... it appears it is just pressing down multiple keys, but you have to do it in the right way to get the beep, heh. I remember in the past that if you, say, pressed 4 keys all at the same time and held them you would get a clamouring system beep telling you to stop. That doesn't seem to cause a beep anymore.

HOWEVER, after some testing, it appears that if I hold down one key, wait a second or two, then hold down a second, wait, a third, wait; then the fourth gives me a beep and won't respond. Weird.

Thanks for keeping me on the right track. An admin can mark this as resolved if they like.

6. jgjg

jgjg

i have the same problem and id like to know how to turn the beep off. is there a way?

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/273699

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice